Saxophone Forum

by pupsncups
(3 posts)
11 years ago

Conn Tenor 30M

I have a Conn Tenor 30M Saxophone. The serial number is 297XXX, which indicates that it was manufactured in 1941. I have owned this instrument since 1984, and I love her deep tone. I've tried to do some research on her, but I have a couple questions that I've been unable to answer.

My first question: What is the difference between a 10M and a 30M?

My second question: How do I figure out her market value? Everything I can find regarding vintage tenor saxophone values refer to the 10M and production years prior to or after the 1940's.  

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn Tenor 30M

there are many significant differences in the 10M and 30M, the most obvious being the adjustable mechanism......see our value guide at www.saxgourmet.com (be sure to read the preface and make the necessary adjustments).....you'll also find the original 30M catalog on thatp site

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

Check out pages 46-52 of the 1938 Conn Catalog in the museum section of the saxophone.org web site. It lays out all of the features of the Conn Connqueror saxophone. Here's a direct link to it.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/230

As for value, its entirely dependent on condition. A mint original lacquer 30M can bring upwards of $4000 if you can flush out the right high dollar collector at a time when they are looking for this horn. On the other hand, a relacquered 30M with older pads may only bring $1000-$1200. Also, if tone holes have been filed or other issues are present, it can significantly impact value. Best to have it looked at by a shop familiar with vintage saxophones if you have a shop near you. If not, feel free to contact us at Saxquest (www.saxquest.com) and we'll be happy to help you with a formal appraisal or assist you with selling the sax if that's your ultimate goal.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

Also check out pages 13-22 of this catalog:

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/publications/id/128

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by pupsncups
        (3 posts)

11 years ago

Thank you so much! I kept running into brick walls in my research. This is her, all right!

Yes, I am considering selling her. I don't really play any more. I just moved to Iowa, and I don't know where to go to have her appraised. I would appreciate any help you can give me regarding a formal appraisal and eventual sale of this beautiful lady.

BTW - She is in original lacquer. She has some minor scratches, mostly around the neckstrap ring, and some discoloration around the serial number area. There is one tiny dent just below the neck. I had her repadded by a repair shop that specialized in vintage instruments when I bought her in 1984 (sadly, it is no longer in business). Her case is in remarkably good shape. Sadly, she has been sitting in that case, unused, for 20 years now.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

What part of Iowa did you move to? I grew up in Ankeny (just north of DesMoines) and still have family there. If you're anywhere near DesMoines area, I'd be happy to get together next time I'm back home and look it over for you. 

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by pupsncups
          (3 posts)

11 years ago

Mark,

I live in Ottumwa. My husband and I both travel regularly to Des Moines and Ankeny. I'd love to have you look at her the next time you are in the state. 

Sincerely,
          Kerri Archer 

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

We will be going thru Ottumwa on our way to Ankeny over Easter weekend. Call me at the sax shop and we can set up a time. 314-664-1234

Cheers,

Mark Overton

www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post