Saxophone Forum

by cycles
(42 posts)
11 years ago

Silver plating in a can

Hi all
There is a method of silver plating that is created on the metal, ie a bare brass sax, by polishing. I am sure some are aware of this plating method. This method of platileave saves a thin coating of silver, that needs to be applied periodically to keep the silver appearance. I have the idea to  apply this polish silver on a set of sax keys, and then apply a clear lacquer to preserve the silver finish. Has anyone tried this and what are your thoughts ? Thanks
Cycles 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Silver plating in a can

yes....it works as advertised......BUT....the amount of silver applied is next to nothing

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by madmajor
      (12 posts)

9 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by madmajor
      (12 posts)

9 years ago

I can confirm the layer is really thin (even after three or four goes.  But does hide minor wear to silver plating.

on one area I have ended up with an edge of blacking (probably because I did not prep the area in anyway)

is is there any method of avoiding this Steve? 

Reply To Post

3. by cycles
      (42 posts)

11 years ago

I ordered a can of the silver plating polish, they say it is possible to build up the layer of silver.
      Will keep you posted.
      Cycles 

Original Quote:
      "yes....it works as advertised......BUT....the amount of silver applied is next to nothing 

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

It only works if the surface is absolutely smooth, like 1500 grit then burnished smooth.  Otherwise it will gob on the highs and not plate the lows.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
      (127 posts)

10 years ago

if you're looking for the easy way, get a good quality brush plater (Rio Grande Tool sells a good one)......don't wast time with a battery powered one.......this will plate much better than the rub on liquid....still far from perfect, but better

STEVE GOODSON
      New Orleans
      www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
        (42 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks Steve. Will give it a try.
        Jim 

Reply To Post

2. by cycles
      (42 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks. I bought the silver polish a while back, and found the same, works well on my Jody Jazz DV.Chi as long as I polish it on a daily basis.
      jim 

Reply To Post

3. by dilandilan
    (7 posts)

10 years ago

isn't it better to use gold can??????

Graduated from [url=http://www.soran.edu.iq/] Soran [/url] University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Reply To Post

1. by cycles
      (42 posts)

10 years ago

Only if you want a Gold finish. But i have never seen a polish on Gold liquid in a can.

Reply To Post

2. by cycles
      (42 posts)

10 years ago

Only if you want a Gold finish. But i have never seen a polish on Gold liquid in a can.

Reply To Post