Saxophone Forum

by BlackNblueBoy08
(4 posts)
19 years ago

Brand New Saxist-to-be... What should I buy!

I'm as green as you can get when it comes to anything about saxaphones. I played around with a tenor at my house for a while and a suprano once at school and I decided that it would be awsome to learn. I just love the sound of it. I want one of my own but I don't know what to buy. I plan to learn to play Alto. I don't want to spend any more than say $300, but I may be willing to press toward 500 if I can con someone into helping me pay for it. Tell me everything. What brand, model, mouthpiece, reed, literature, who to listen to, EVERYTHING! I am really excited about this. Music is my passion!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by BlackNblueBoy08
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Brand New Saxist-to-be... What should I buy!

Another question, which one is easier to learn on, Alto or Tenor? I may want a tenor instead since my guardian used to play one, but I think like the sound of the alto better. please give me feedback on tenors as well. thanks! =Jr.B=

Reply To Post

1. by YanagisawA-901
      (312 posts)

19 years ago

there is no sax worth a minute of ur time that u can buy for 300 dollars...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

1. by sax_maniac
        (984 posts)

19 years ago

901 is ALMOST right. If someone goes the eBay route, it's a crap shoot as to what your money will get you. Normally, the horns in that price range are in dire need of repair - sometimes a total refurb which would likely cost more than the horn itself at your local music shop. BUT... Luckily there's people like me out there (to the dismay of your general brick and mortar enterprises) that restore saxophones and I have several that would be fine for any aspiring player to start on in that price range.

Reply To Post

1. by BlackNblueBoy08
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

if 300-500 is gonna be too cheap for even a beginner what would a good one cost for a beginner? I'm willing to do what it takes. I mean, lets not get too rediculous here, but I really want to learn to play on the right equipment. I might have to work a little more but if thats what it takes....

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

if you're only willing to spend 300 on a horn...you're better off just renting one from the music store for a while. like yana. said..there's no horn that you can buy for that much that's even worth your time. the one my parents are trying to get me costs 3,000 at the least! i really like the rovner ligatures, but some people hate them, so i guess it's your own personal choice there are a ton of reeds out there, and the most common one around here is Rico. you should probably start out on say a number 2 if you buy rico. vandoren reeds usually run slightly thicker than rico, so just keep that in mind when you're looking around. between tenor and alto, it's pretty much your choice. do you like a slightly lower tone, or a slightly higher tone? If it matters at all, keep in mind that tenor is in the key of Bb, and alto is in the key of Eb. i personally like the alto better, but tons of people are in love with the tenor. it's all personal preference. good luck, kara

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

BlackNBlue, I would say alto is probably a little easier to learn, because it's easier to get a decent tone, and you don't have to try as hard for quick response.

Reply To Post

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
          (767 posts)

19 years ago

I agree with the consensus of this thread. Expecting to pay $300 for a tenor especially is a roadmap to dissapointment and frustration. It certainly is possible to find a suitable horn in good playable condition for that price, but it would be a very good and rare deal indeed. Ebay is risky on that budget. You could buy a horn or $200 and easliy put in another $200 for repair work A used alto for $400-$500 is a reasonable expectation at a responsible music store that has woodwind expertise.

Reply To Post

1. by BlackNblueBoy08
            (4 posts)

19 years ago

thanks for all of your input on the price guys. I think I should be able to work that out. But what about brands? Mouthpieces and Reeds especially. I understand that they make a huge difference in tone. Thanks again. =Jr.B=

Reply To Post

2. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

19 years ago

i'm actually searching for a new saxophone too, and the advice i've been given is if you've never heard of it, don't buy it. the top brands these days are keilwerth, selmer (series II, III, and the reference especially), yanigasawa, and yamaha. these are usually really expensive though. but keep in mind, the value of a pro horn always goes up, while the value of a beginner horn usually doesnt. make sure you try out the horn before buying it (or check and see if it has a return policy). the mouthpieces i've been told to look for are the Selmer C* and the Meyer 5 (for jazz)

Reply To Post

3. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

If you've heard of it, don't buy it? Hmmmmmmm..... : / C*s are ok for classical, but a Meyer 5 is going to be wimpy. Try a 6. All beginners seem to go for the 5, but it sounds to classical. Also try the Otto Link 6*. Meyer has a new mouthpiece out called the G series, haven't gotten a hold of one myself, but I've heard they're good. As far as reeds, I've always like Vandorens, because they're dependable. Alexanders are good to, but you have to take care of them certain a certain way, and it's a pain in the ass. Not a fan of the Keilwerth, and I really only like the Series II. I've noticed the III is too stuffy. Of course they're all handmade, so there's a few out there that are good. The Reference, in my opinion is a waste of money when you could buy the Yani A9930 at Woodwind Brasswind for the same price. And I love the Yamaha customs. There is something to be said about an old Selmer to, a Mark VI or an SBA.

Reply To Post

4. by Jack C.
            (2 posts)

19 years ago

buy a selmer s90 mouthpiece or a berg larson mp. sax brands i'd recommend are borgani,selmer,keilwerth or yanagisawa. if you have a limited budget, buy an old conn,buescher oor king or buy a used yamaha. BUT BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do not buy antigua winds, bestler, bandnow,helmke,jupiter or any chinese manufactured sax. these are cheap saxes that will break easily and have bad intonation. jupiters are actually kind of ok but i wouldn't recommend them.

Reply To Post

5. by NickelPlated
            (20 posts)

19 years ago

Check this one out i got for $240 it costs 1400 retail

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=16232&item=3752119495&rd=1 thats an alto i got off ebay. Ebay isnt so bad. Especially if yur a beginner. That sax retails around $1400 so i gota good deal. Plus the seller hass no negative feedback And alto is better for many reasons like the sound, size,looks, and best of all, the tone. So iw ould recommend alto but you know, its yur choice

Reply To Post

6. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Check this one out i got for $240 it costs 1400 retail

The original retail price means nothing. *Nobody* pays list price. This new user appears to be spamming!

Reply To Post

7. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Me like Helmke. Great French sound with happy good quality. I play like Bird when I play Helmke. Not bother with pricey big Salmers...

Reply To Post

8. by golferguy675
            (600 posts)

19 years ago

Hehehe

Reply To Post

9. by johnsonfromwisconsin
            (767 posts)

19 years ago

LOL!

Reply To Post

10. by NickelPlated
            (20 posts)

19 years ago

Gimme a break

Hey guys gimme a break ok? sheesh i was just giving a choice. Sheesh you guys dnit grow up and know everything about the world right away! Besides i said i was a beginner SRy i sound like a fag but dont be critisizing people just cause you know more than them about saxes!

Reply To Post

11. by The_MarkVI
            (80 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Gimme a break

nickleplated SHUT UP first of all i like the tenor size and tone better and 2nd YOUR NAME IS NICKLEPLATED so shut your fudging mouth

Reply To Post

12. by The_MarkVI
            (80 posts)

19 years ago

nickleplated SHUT UP first of all i like the tenor size and tone better and 2nd YOUR NAME IS NICKLEPLATED so shut your fudging mouth

Reply To Post

13. by karebear1012
            (395 posts)

19 years ago

hey! i know this is sort of random..but i really need to know if any of you have heard of saxophones.co.uk, and know if they're ok or not. i'm lookin for a pro horn for jazz band this year (and pretty much the rest of my life), and my parents offered up to the low 3000s for a good horn. i really liked the selmer reference, and i've been looking everywhere for an alto ref. in my price range. i've been warned many times to be really careful and get advice from others because being a 14 yr old girl could make ppl think it'd be easy to rip me off or somethin. so is saxophones.co.uk any good? and if not, do you know any places that would sell a selmer reference (alto) in my price range? Thanks! Kara

Reply To Post

14. by sax_maniac
            (984 posts)

19 years ago

Try saxforte.com. Mathew sells pro horns at good prices. He does eBay listings for his horns, as well. Give him a call. You will learn a lot from talking with him on the phone.

Reply To Post