Saxophone Forum

by edikromanyuk
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Does the lacquering on the sax really matters?

So i bought YTS-62 yesterday, it looks pretty bad to be honest. Scratechs and lacquering coming off, but does it really matter? I mean personally i dont really care about the look that much, i mean surely its nice to have new looking saxophone, but sounds is the most important part right? I'm just not sure if i did a good purchuse or i will have to spend another descent amount of money to get it relacquering. 

Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Does the lacquering on the sax really matters?

Here's an excellent online article on the topic. http://www.cybersax.com/QA/Q&A_Relacquering_Pros_&_Cons.html

Reply To Post

2. by Zaxman
    (31 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Does the lacquering on the sax really matters?

Some typical lacquer wear and scratches are not going to make a significant difference in the way it plays. If you like the way it plays now I would recommend not doing anything to the lacquer. There are a number of bad things that can happen when you re-lacquer a saxophone, especially if the procedure is done poorly. Re-lacquering a saxophone also can decrease the value by as much as 50%.

If the cosmetic looks are important the best things to do is re sell the horn and use the money to buy a newer saxophone.

Reply To Post Yahoo!