Saxophone Forum

by andyabelow
(5 posts)
11 years ago

1937 Selmer Balanced action alto, possible Jimmy Dorsey model!!!?

I've had this horn for almost twenty years now, I of course knew it was a 1937 selmer balanced action. It has an unbelievably gorgeous tone, and I always knew it was special.

I have never done much research, until now.

The serial no. is 23804.

That means that it could have been one of the first Jimmy Dorsey's to have been made!?

Anyone have any insight on this?

I would love to know for sure... 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: 1937 Selmer Balanced action alto, possible Jimmy Dorsey model!!!?

Can you post a few photos of your sax here?

Thanks,
          Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com    

Reply To Post

1. by andyabelow
      (5 posts)

11 years ago

Reply To Post

2. by andyabelow
      (5 posts)

11 years ago

Here are some photos of the horn. 

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks, great photos. Unfortunately, this is not a Dorsey model balanced action. Its in the right serial number range to have been a first series Dorsey, but this one is not. If it were a Dorsey, it would have retro-fit radio improved style keywork. This one has your standard balanced action keywork. It also appears to have been relacquered at some point in its past. Here's a link to read more about the Dorsey model saxes. You can compare photos of the first series horn to yours.

http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/model/53

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by andyabelow
          (5 posts)

11 years ago

Ah, yes, I realized that after further research. What makes you think that it was relacquered?

Reply To Post

2. by Saxquest
          (420 posts)

11 years ago

Its always difficult to tell from photos and I would would certainly reserve ultimate judgement until I could see the horn in person. But I've seen 100's of BA's over the years. I would say 9 out of 10 are relacquered. Yours has a great color to the lacquer and is probably a factory relac. But there are several spots in the engraving that appear to be washed out. In the 1950's and 1960's before it was standard for music instrument dealers to have full service repair shops, most dealers shipped saxophone overhauls back to Selmer in Elkhart for overhauls. As part of this process, Selmer would routinely relacquer the sax. Today, this is known as a "factory relacquer". Many are so good that its difficult to tell them from the original lacquer. Selmer was the best!!

Cheers,
               Mark Overton
               www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

3. by andyabelow
          (5 posts)

11 years ago

Thanks for all the insightful info Mark! I wish there was a way to find out the storyline of the saxophone over the years before I owned it. My dad bought it for me when I was 14, from a music professor at Shenandoah University in VA. I would try to track that guy down, but I doubt he still has his contact info. 

Andy 

Reply To Post