Saxophone Forum

by ltsmiami
(2 posts)
11 years ago

Is Selmer AS300 an good Intermediate sax?

Hi!  My son wants to take up alto sax.  I was offered a Selmer AS 300 for $500, is that a good price?  Is that a good instrument? He currently plays the clarinet with his High School band so he needs an intermediate instrument. He wants to eventually try out for Jazz Band.  Would that be a good instrument for both concert and Jazz?  I would also appreciate recommendations of other brands that would be good, but reasonably priced.  Thank you so much!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Is Selmer AS300 an good Intermediate sax?

It's a student horn and $500 is not a good price.  Closed listings on eBay seem to max out in the mid-300s range.  Don't be fooled by the "Selmer" brand.  Selmer USA horns have only the name in common with the famous Selmer pro horns.

The Yamaha YAS-23 is a very popular student horn available for under $500 used.  It is well made and easy to play - which are the main concerns for someone just starting out.

Reply To Post

1. by ltsmiami
      (2 posts)

11 years ago

Thank you so much for replying.  My son is an excellent clarinet player, and he already has some experience in the sax, so I need to get him an intermediate instrument. In order for him to make it into Jazz band next year he needs to have a good quality instrument.  Do you know of any good, not too expensive, intermediate alto sax that would be good for both Jazz and concert?  Thank you in advance for any info you can offer.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The YAS-23 is nothing to sneeze at.   If your budget is around $500, a good used one should definitely be considered.  There are some alternatives in that price range, but it's hard to say whether or not any of them are better.  A lot of that depends on the player's goals and how they individually define "better."  But they would come with their own compromises.  If your son wants to beef up his sound after playing saxophone for a while, a better mouthpiece would make more difference than a better saxophone.  And more experience playing would give your son more time to think about what he really wants from a saxophone without being under the gun to purchase one because of an academic schedule.  When you're in the market for a used saxophone, time is your friend.

Some other horns you might consider are Japanese Vitos, pre-Japanese Vitos, Martin Indianas, and Martin Imperials,  The Vitos have modern keywork.  Japanese Vitos were made by Yamaha and Yanagisawa, so they're good quality horns.  The Martins have older style keywork, which might be a deal breaker for some, but they have a rich, sweet, "classic" sound.  

This site has an article with some good tips on shopping for used saxophones. 

Reply To Post

2. by star31212
      (3 posts)

11 years ago

Yesterday my son and I went into a local pawn shop here in TX, anyway, they had a soprano sax, three alto, even a beautiful black Jupiter tenor sax. I didn't think the prices were all that high considering what I've learned researching on the internet. Have you checked your local pawn shops? My son is over 30, I didn't feel comfortable going in alone. Good luck finding your son's sax. I have a Bundy made by Selmer alto I could sell you rather cheap if you haven't found one yet. I bought it a few years ago off ebay in case any of my grandkids wanted to take after me and play a woodwind. No such luck yet, unfortunately! Take care :)

Reply To Post