Saxophone Forum

by karebear1012
(395 posts)
20 years ago

Out of breath!

This november i'm auditoning for a district concert band (all the people with the highest scores get into the state ensemble). this is really important to me because i've always wanted to be in districts..but i've been pretty discouraged since i'm only a freshman. but anyway, one of the pieces is this really slow song that is fairly easy to play, but it's so hard for me to catch a breath without cutting off a phrase. are there any good exercises that could help me be able to hold my breath longer or something? also, there's this really fast song that has a ton of staccato notes in it. on trumpet, you can double tongue, and i was wondering if you can do anything like that on sax (and how). thanks, kara

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barimachine
    (323 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Out of breath!

longtones... breath hard on paper keeping it on the wall just do it alot anything jam you sax into you stomach when your playing... thats what i did (on alto) double tonguing? yea of course you can you can triple also its like sayin doo dah

Reply To Post

2. by Armstrong Alto!
    (19 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Out of breath!

Hmm..."doo dah?" Not the best. "Kitty Kitty kitty" works wonders for me. On the "Ki" part, you tongue normal-style. On the "tee" part, 'tongue' with your throat by just closing it. As for breathing.....only experience. I have been playing for 8+ years, and that's the only advice i can give. Good luck on the tryouts!

Reply To Post