Saxophone Forum

by panamabutch
(1 post)
11 years ago

Sticky Pads

Hello Everyone,  I live in Panama and we are limited as to what brand of sax we can purchase here.  I haven't played in over 20 years, used to be pretty good.  I just purchased a Yokusa Alto and it appears to be a fairly professional set up as it has all the extra "goodies" on it.  However, I have a slight problem...G# and Bb as well as a couple of others are sticking.  I don't want to damage my new "Baby" by doing something stupid to it, so if you have a suggestion (please, nothing vulgar) I would greatly appreciate it.  They are sticking every time I play so it is a real problem.  I am very excited to get back to making music again.  Thanks and God bless!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Sticky Pads

First, be certain that the tops of the tone holes are absolutely clean.....do this by cutting a strip about an inch wide of 1500 grit emery paper.....insert the paper ABRAISIVE SIDE TOWARD THE TONE HOLE between the pad and the tone hole, holding the key closed, and pull the paper out....repeat as necessary to clean 360 degrees of the tone hole.....this usually solves the proboem......if not, apply a teflon based pad treatment.....such as our Mojo's Never Stick Pad Powder availabe at www.nationofmusic.com.....do not use a cornstarch or talcum based pad powder....these absorb moisture and form small lumps on the pad, causing leaks....do not use any type solven such as lighter fluid....this wll break down the pad leather

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by rurusax
    (4 posts)

5 years ago

Re: Sticky Pads

I lived in Costa Rica for a while and had a similar problem. Tropical climates can be extra hard on saxophone pads and create sticky leather in a hurry. Based on that and other experience as a repair tech and professional player, I created Key Leaves saxophone care products to stop sticky sax pads. The Saxophonist magazine just gave it product of the year. 
    Learn more at https://KeyLeaves.com 

Reply To Post