Saxophone Forum

by bboyinmartin
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Selmer vs. Yamaha?

This topic has been mentioned before, but I don't think anyone actually mentioned how the tones of the saxes sound like. So could anyone describe it upload an audio files of them some how?

Btw, my choices are 

Selmer SAS280 La Voix II &
Yamaha YAS-62III Professional Alto Saxophone.
Which one should I choose? I really love the warm and clear sound of Selmer's. 
But people are saying that I should get Yamaha...   

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Selmer vs. Yamaha?

The Yamaha 62 is probably the best horn of the two mentioned. The sound you are after will depend more on the mouthpiece you use.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

I agree with Barry. If its between a Yamaha-62III and a La Voix II, the Yamaha wins. The La Voix is a decent sax, but it doesn't have the purity of tone that you get from a Yamaha 62. In my experience, the Yamaha 62 doesn't have the bigest sound out there, but its a very good focused pure sound. Intonation is also good on the YAS-62III. Yamaha has finally worked through the intonation issues that 62 suffered from for several years.

As for video files of these saxes being played. Check out the Saxquest web site in the next few weeks. We're about to launch a new version of the web site which will allow us to add video files to out products. We'll have them up within the next few weeks. 

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by bboyinmartin
        (4 posts)

11 years ago

What about between Yamaha YAS 62ii? I can't find any difference between 62ii and 62iii

Reply To Post