Saxophone Forum

by oldschoolbandgirl
(2 posts)
11 years ago

Frank Holton & Co. Elkhart

I have a alto sax that I played in a school band in the 1960's and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what it is worth and the best place to sell it. It has a number 7753 so I think it was made in 1907. On the case it says Frank Holton & Co.  It is silver and in ecellent condition, no dents, just some minor scratches. It has not been played scince 1966. Kept in case indoors at all times. If anyone can tell me more about it, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you. 

Also how do I clean it propperly? 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: FrankHolton & Co. Elkhart

Any horn that old will be of more interest to antique collectors and history buffs than to players.  Check closing prices of ancient Holtons on eBay to get an idea of its value.  Don't expect much.

Reply To Post

2. by oldschoolbandgirl
    (2 posts)

11 years ago

Thank you for your comment.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

Holton didn't start making saxophones until 1915. I think you may have been looking at a brass serial number chart when you came up with 1907. Check out the serial number chart in the museum section of this web site for Holton. You'll see that a saxophone with serial number 7753 dates to 1921. This would have been 3 years after Holton moved from Chicago to Elkhorn, WI. 

Even so, the horn is still fairly antiquated in keywork and has little value in today's market for players. Not much interest among collectors either.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
        (420 posts)

11 years ago

To answer your question about cleaning. It depends on if its silver plated or lacquer or raw brass. Do you have any photos of it?

Cheers,
             Mark Overton
             www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post