Saxophone Forum

by Jack Cici
(87 posts)
20 years ago

SOPRILLO AND SOPRANINO SAXES

i've heard of both, and they seem really cool but i'd like the opinion of someone who actually owns one.are they in tune?are they difficult to play because of their small size?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bass sax man
    (31 posts)

20 years ago

Hi! I own both a Soprillo and a Sopranino saxophone. The Soprillo, made by Eppelsheim, is a very hard instrument to play in the first few weeks, however with practice and patience, you can be playing the full range of the instrument with ease. I love playing the Soprillo in my sax quartet which you can check out at www.nautilus4.com on the Soprano parts. The Soprillo is an amazing instrument and can be solemn to shrill. My Sopranino is a curved Orsi. I have played straight and curved Sopraninos but I prefer the Orsi. As with the Soprillo it takes a while to get the full range of the instrument with ease, and once again it can sound beautiful or shrill. I find that playing lead alto parts is fun on the Sopranino, however you need to find a director willing to let you :o)

Reply To Post

1. by Vanttuir
      (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: SOPRILLO AND SOPRANINO SAXES

Thanks for this information!

Reply To Post

2. by Jack Cici
      (87 posts)

20 years ago

THATS REAL COOL, HAVE YOU FOUND Or had any parts written specifically for soprillo.do you know any one whos selling a used soprillo or sopranino ,if so how much? thanks ,david

Reply To Post

1. by Saxophone_Crush
        (1 post)

19 years ago

I currently have a yanigasawa sopranino, which has a lovely sound. it does take a while, like all sopraninos, to keep in tune, but the entire register is lovely!!! I'm planning on possibly selling mine *sob*, though i cant bring myself to do so yet... (reason; want a lovely yani alto which is a littl eabove bank balance!) but yes, i'd definitely recoment purchasing one or the other - they are great, especially solos, or leading big bands/dixie bands etc!

Reply To Post

2. by Bass sax man
        (31 posts)

20 years ago

Currently, I have no Soprillo specific songs, however it is a new instrument and I believe in time it will have many songs. If you are serious about purchasing a Soprillo saxophone, then I suggest you contact Benedikt Eppelsheim himself, but only if you are a serious buyer. You can obtain more information about the Soprillo and prices from his website at:

Reply To Post

1. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

i've already been to eppelsheim.com and i emailed eppelsheim just to get an estimate of the cost and everything even thoughi wasn't really considering buying one because i won't be able to afford or have the skill to play one for a long time, since i'm only in 7th grade but thanks for the info anyway, david

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

Wait a minute...Are you Blaise?

Reply To Post

3. by Bass sax man
          (31 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah I am Blaise... Did you see me on Jay's website...

Reply To Post

4. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I dont remember where I heard of you...it was a while ago. THe main reason I do, is your VERY impressive collection. How did you afford all that? I worked my butt off for my III, my new wonder II, my 2 truetones and my 2 conn sops - and I'm a junior. (Well I guess I do have a lot of mouthpieces too.) but I mean, you have some contrabasses, basses, a grafton, curved sopranino, a sopranissimo. Which reminds me, how does your grafton play? I have wanted one for so long, but it would mostly be a conversation piece and am having a hard time waranting a mint condition one, but would ever so much like one. So if you tell me it plays at least a little bit nice...ah christ someone save me from myself. Heh, reminds me of a customer who told us when we finished wiht his horn and his wife answered the phone to tell her that the little one was done - and it was a tenor.

Reply To Post

5. by Bass sax man
          (31 posts)

20 years ago

My collection includes... Bb Soprillo Eb Sopranino C Soprano ---------------(straight and slide) Bb Soprano ------------- (straight and curved) F Mezzo-Soprano Eb Alto -------------------(Grafton, Conn, Heimer) C Tenor Bb Tenor ----------------(curved and straight) Eb Baritone BBb Bass EEb Contrabass --------(Eppelsheim and Orsi) --I also recently purchased 2 Q-R-S Playasax'. The Grafton plays very well, however,since it is so fragile, I only play it occasionally. I was lucky enough to get one with the original keyguards. If you purchase one without the keyguards, you can still get replacement guards because Rob Verdi now has a mold. Getting one without the keyguards will save you a pretty significant amount of money, but you will have to purchase replacement guards. The Grafton, as you may or may not know, was played and made famous by Ornette Coleman and Charlie Parker. You might want to purchase some of their CDs which feature the Grafton. Ornette Coleman's "Skies of America" is free jazz which features the Grafton. If you would like information on my other saxes then please post your questions here! Hope I was helpful! ~Blaise~

Reply To Post

6. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

you have a grafton!thats awesome!is ti in condition because i heard the plastic cracks very easily and the keys bend you have straight alto and tenors those are cool, i've seen them at l.asax.com

Reply To Post

7. by Bass sax man
          (31 posts)

20 years ago

My Grafton is in nearly perfect condition... you can see a picture of it on my website at: www.nautilus4.com

Reply To Post

8. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

WAIT A MINUTE, YOU' RE BLAISE GARZA, I'VE SEEN YOU ON JAY EASTONS WEBSITE HOLDING A SOPRILLO SAX. WHERE DID YOU GET THE gRAFTON FROM?Do you know where I can buy one cheap? thanks, David

Reply To Post

9. by Bass sax man
          (31 posts)

20 years ago

Grafton's are fairly rare, so, they will cost anywhere from $2,500--$5,000. They are pretty inexpensive on ebay, but most of them are missing the keyguards or have cracks in the body. I got my Grafton from a man in New Zealand. As for the picture on Jay's website... I was holding a curved sopranino not a Soprillo... but you can see pictures of my Soprillo at: www.nautilus4.com/Sax_Pics/Soprillo.html ~Blaise~

Reply To Post

10. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

hah! I bet I know the guy that sold you that grafton - about 2 years ago there was a guy that had 3 unplayable graftons and was sellling them - I tried to buy them, but he sold them out form under me to a guy who was going to use the pieces from the three to make one functioning horn.

Reply To Post

11. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

Saxman, good news!!! There's a mint condition grafton all orgininal in the vintage sax section of this site's shop. Anyone ever played a subcontrabass? I don't see how someone could produce the air to get it to play without hyperventilating. I've looked at one, but the guy wouldn't let me play it, it wasn't in good enough condition.

Reply To Post

12. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

lol did you just miss our conversation - "Wait a minute...are you Blaise?"... Thanks for the offer blaise, but not to sound too um, whats the word...arogant I think, I would be surprised if there is a sax out there that I dont know like the back of my - er hand. I checked out your website, and its pretty cool, but I did find one problem - I have DSL, that from where I am runs more like T1 due to such low traffic - I normally get aobut 800 k a second and it was a little slow - you might want to convert your pictures into jpegs or retake them at 640x480.

Reply To Post

13. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

Yeah, it was a curved sopranino,and jay was right next you playing contrabass.Do you know jay personally?is there any way I can contact him? Thanks, David

Reply To Post