Saxophone Forum

by Hammuh
(4 posts)
11 years ago

Need help with identification

Hello everyone,

I have not played since high school 30 years ago, when I played an alto sax.  I purchased the below today and am embarrassed to admit that I am not sure if it's a tenor or alto.  I'm hoping to identify the maker.  There is no brand name other than the notation "Made-in-Elkhart" with a serial number of 21513.

It's approximately 29" from where the neck would be inserted to the bottom.  I would be grateful for any help regarding manufacturer and dating and happy to provide other details.

Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Need help with identification

It's a Bb tenor that looks like it's based on a later Conn Pan American or Director student model.  It was probably made by Conn to be sold as a horn rebranded by a merchandiser, otherwise known as a "stencil" horn.  The Conn student models made in Elkhart are good horns.  Yours looks like it is in top shape.  Call it beginner's luck!

Reply To Post

1. by Hammuh
      (4 posts)

11 years ago

Hi GFC,

Thanks so much for the response!  Any idea on year of manufacture? 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The rod style neck brace looks like a type that Conn stopped making around 1955.  The teardrop style chromatic F# key also looks like a feature of the Pan American, which was updated slightly and renamed the Director in 1955.  But the keywork is nickel plated and Conn introduced nickel plated keys in 1955.  So overall, it's kind of confusing.  It could be that Conn used some leftover Pan American parts to make a limited run of stencil horns around 1955.  BTW, I like the bell engraving.  Looks like a fun horn to own.  That thing can make a BIG sound.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

One other thing.  It looks like it has a right hand G# trill key (right below the F key), which puts the body in the Pan American (pre-1955) vintage.  But then there are those pesky nickel keys.  Maybe nickel keys were introduced on the Pan Anerican before they were introduced on the Artist models.  Or maybe they were put on stencils before they were put on Conn-branded horns.  If we allow those possibilities, it could have been made any time between the change in the Pan American body style, in which the split bell keys were replaced with same side bell keys (estimated late 1940s), to 1955.

Reply To Post

1. by Hammuh
          (4 posts)

11 years ago

Terrific, thanks so much for your help!

Reply To Post

2. by Hammuh
          (4 posts)

11 years ago

Hi GFC,

I sent you a private message, so please check that when you get a chance.

Thanks again for all your help.   

Reply To Post