Saxophone Forum

by jon henri
(19 posts)
11 years ago

high F# key

Dont know if this has been discussed or not, but ive been looking for a vintage sax, but a lot of them dont have the front high F# key.
i admit i am a noob to playing sax, and im just wondering how important is this front hgh F# key. im not into classical,symphony or the such, just jazz and mostly smooth jazz music, how important is this key. ive heard comments from other people about the lack of use of theirs. replies greatly appreciated. thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

11 years ago

Re: high F# key

there is a reason ALL modern saxophones have a front F key....

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Your description of a "front high F# key" is confusing.  There's the front F key, which has been a standard feature for between 85 and 90 years.  That's the one with the keytouch above the LH B key, that opens the E palm key.  Instruments without a front F key are unacceptably limited IMHO.  Then there's the F# key, which made its first appearance on some Selmer MK VIes.  That's the one next to the RH Bb/C/F palm keys that opens the highest pad on the body tube.  There's been a lot of great music played without the high F# key, but players who hang in the altissimo find it useful.

Reply To Post

1. by jon henri
      (19 posts)

11 years ago

well i was making reference to a vintage saxophone's lack of keytouch  on the bottom of sax, the side top f# lever or key. like some of the old bueschers dont have these

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

There are no prewar horns with a high F# key.  That particular example doesn't have a front F key.  It's antiquated, not a player's horn.   

Reply To Post