Saxophone Forum

by lifeforce4
(3 posts)
20 years ago

Can't make up my mind.

I have been wanting to learn the saxophone for a while now. From everything I read I cant decied what to get, either an alto or tenor. I just moved and I dont know anyone that plays the saxophone. I know alto's are higher on the scale and from what I read tenors have a more rich sound to them. I have to find a music store some where around me. The only one that I have found is "Guitar Center" and I know they would not be the best place to get a sax from. My question is where could I hear the diffrence between an alto and tenor saxophone online. If no one knows are there any songs that I could listen to. I mainly want to make up my mind what type I want before I go to a store (if I find one around). Thanks, Kyle

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Jack Cici
    (87 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Can't make up my mind.

you can go to jayeaston.com and then go to to the saxophone part, and it has sound clips and info about every saxophone.

Reply To Post

1. by lifeforce4
      (3 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the link David, I liked the sound of the alto best so that is what I am going to look at now. Again thanks, Kyle

Reply To Post

1. by Jack Cici
        (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah i started on alto and thats what most people start on. its a great instrument. may be one day you'll be able to play contrabass lol!

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

oooh, good choice. i love the alto! where'd you just move? if you're in New England I might be able to hook ya up with a sax teacher or some good music stores if you want. alto is an awesome instrument to play....if you need a method book, the Rubank Methods are really good for basics, and the Lennie Nehause books are really good for jazz. good luck, Kara

Reply To Post

2. by lifeforce4
          (3 posts)

20 years ago

I just moved to Rochester, NY. Thanks for the tips on what are good books. Every one seems to like them a lot because they come up all the time in here. Thanks, Kyle

Reply To Post

3. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

20 years ago

ooh cool...i used to live in NY. I'm in MA now. if you're lookin for a horn or something, Rayburn's music is awesome! It's in Boston, and they're moving like a block away right now, so in like a month or so you should check them out. Yeah, those are, in my opinion, the best books for learning saxophone. good luck, kara

Reply To Post

4. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

Glad to know that another has joined the ranks of saxophone players. Welcome to the sax section!

Reply To Post