Saxophone Forum

by Adrian C
(1 post)
11 years ago

Trouble with my G

I am a real novice looking for a bit of advice. I started 9 months ago, with lessons. About 2 months ago I paid to have my sax tuned. A couple of weeks ago I suspected I had tuning problems again. I downloaded a tuning app and whilst all the other notes are spot on my G is nowhere near. I am assuming that this proves 2 things. Firstly it's not me, secondly there is some problem with my G key on its own. Is there a way I could fix this myself, or am I going to have to pay again?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Trouble with my G

Is it sharp or flat, and how far off is it?  Is the problem on G2 and G1, or just on one or the other?

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Trouble with my G

I don't know if you can really eliminate operator error just yet. Since you just started nine months ago, I would take the sax into a shop that has a professional player on staff and ask them to play test the horn to see if they have the same result. If they have the same tuning issues then that would be the ultimate proof that its the sax and not the operator. Even better would be to get a lesson from a professional and have them play test your horn in the lesson with a tuner. At nine months in, you really should see someone to make sure you're not setting in any bad habbits (maybe something not even related to the tuning issue). No offense meant by that, but I can tell you from teaching experience that bad habbits just get more and more difficult to break the longer you do them. If it is something with your embouchure, a good teacher will be able to help you fix it. Best of Luck!!

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post