Saxophone Forum

by Freddie Nurk
(7 posts)
11 years ago

Conn curious Part 2

Having had the forum clear up my queries regarding what I now know be my old 'New Wonder', I'm hoping you can do the same regarding my 6M (pics attached).
I'm pretty sure this horn may have been 'cobbled together' or, if I'm feeling chartitable, 'customised'. For a start I have been told that Conn never made a 'silver' 6M with lacquer keys which would seem to be bourne out by the fact that the neck's underslung octave key isn't. Secondly, I don't think the neck is original either. Apart from the ham-fisted engraving (why would anyone do that?), there is evidence that someone has deliberately polished out some identifying marks at the base, under the octave key. The body of the horn is in very good condition though and the action smooth too. The 'Microtuner' mechanism works well although there is a little 'play' which I suppose is only to be expected. I'm not too fussed about the cosmetics but I would like the neck to be right. If my suspicions are right how much of a mission would this be to rectify?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

11 years ago

Re: Conn curious Part 2

"Right" in this case would mean functional - not leaking at the tenon or the microtuner, octave key functional, and not giving intonation problems.  The rest I wouldn't worry about.   Your description and the pictures fit the definition of a "player's horn".  There's some fading of the serial number due to buffing, which could account for the buffed-out markings on the neck.  But the bell engraving looks like it came through the buffing pretty well.  

Reply To Post

1. by Freddie Nurk
      (7 posts)

11 years ago

Yes, it plays very well and although I'm not a great fan of the Microtuner, I can't fault the logic of the idea, I think it's just the 'play' that's a bit disconcerting. I have disassembled the mechanism, cleaned it, and applied a little grease to the thread and slide; it was previously very stiff and felt in danger of cross-threading. I was a little concerned that if the neck wasn't original it may have changed the tone, which compared to the New Wonder I have, is much sweeter. Is this a characteristic of 'silver' horns or 6Ms in general? And how would you detect any leaking through the Microtuner? (Although this doesn't appear to be an issue at the moment).
      I am pleased with your view that it's a "players horn", it still is - and if I ever come into enough money to try a Guardala Studio mp on it I will; it's such a good combination on my 10M.
      Many thanks for your response, much appreciated,

Freddie

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

11 years ago

The New Wonders are a little darker and less projecting than the ladyface horns, and maybe you prefer that sound.  If you want to push the sound of your 6m in a darker direction, that can be done with your mouthpiece choice (larger chamber, open tip, low baffle).  The Guardala Studio doesn't come to mind if that's the direction you want to go.

Reply To Post

1. by Freddie Nurk
          (7 posts)

11 years ago

I take your point about the mp, I used to have a metal Link 6* for a while but I reverted to the Link ebonite 5*. The metal mp just seemed to introduce a little harshness, even more so with the Berg Larsen I once tried. I like the open tip of the Guardala but my 10M is on the dark side to start with and I'm coming from a different place with the 6M.
          Many thanks for your thoughts,

Freddie 

Reply To Post