Hi i'd like to know how to flutter tongue, any suggestion? thanks David

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SCALLYBRACKET
    (1 post)

19 years ago

Re: How to flutter tongue

I can not roll my r's does this mean that I will not bealbe to learn how to flutter tounge?

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

19 years ago

First actually sit down and practice rolling your r's. It's at the back of your tounge and the soft pallete, just relax your jaw, and try it. If your tounge is just too stiff to do it at all, then yes, it's probably going to be pretty unlikely that you'll suceed in flutter tounging, but there's only one way to find out...try it.

Reply To Post

2. by golferguy675
    (600 posts)

20 years ago

Before flutter tounging, you should learn how to growl.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
      (90 posts)

20 years ago

Huy golferguy, Have any exercises for the growl. I think I know how to flutter tongue, but I don't know how to growl. Is that possible or am I just doing another thing? Thanks Hex

Reply To Post AIM

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

20 years ago

It's possible. Flutter tounge is more advanced, but you probably jutst get the convcept more. Flutter tounge is with your tongue, but the growl is with the back of the roof of your mouth and the back of your tongue, behind the mouthpiece. Go back a few pages in this forum, and you'll find a couple really big threads on growling, therell be plenty of tips there.

Reply To Post

1. by Hexaclon
          (90 posts)

20 years ago

Ooo cool Thanks Hex

Reply To Post AIM

2. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah hex, golfergus right you should read the growl threads.i've read , but i still can't growl.any suggestions?

Reply To Post

3. by Spike
          (248 posts)

20 years ago

can you growl without a sax? it's pretty simmilar, so try to do that into the sax. then just practice it, as it can take years to get a good growl. Flutter tongueing is like rolling your rs onto the reed. i can't do it. i also can't roll my rs-_-

Reply To Post

4. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

20 years ago

yeah i've already tried the growl into sax thing but i guess i'll just have to keep trying. thanks DAVID

Reply To Post

5. by jazzax
          (30 posts)

20 years ago

Growling is just humming while you play your horn. Don't make if more difficult than it is. You can play around with trying to harmonize notes you sing with notes you play, but generally, this isn't necessary if you are just trying to get that growling tone. Flutter tonguing is literally fluttering your tongue while you're playing your horn...sort of like rolling a spanish "R" sound, fluttering your tongue against the roof of your mouth. Generally, growling is a more musical embellishment. It sounds especially good on alto...listen to Phil Woods and Cannonball, they use it very tastefully and to great effect. Like any effect like this, a little goes a long way. Have fun!

Reply To Post

6. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

20 years ago

I guess since we've made another full thread out of this topic, I'll post again. There are a couple ways of growling. The one jazzsax mentioned takes more throat control, you have to open your throat and more scream than hum, somewhere in the middle of the two. Then there's the first way I mentioned.

Reply To Post