Saxophone Forum

by managerich
(1 post)
10 years ago

G. LEBLANC ALTO SAX

I am a repairman in Utah and am trying to find out info on a mid 50's alto for a client of mine. It Says G. LEBLANC on the bell and has a lot of ingraving on it. it also has a key below the regular D key on the main shaft. This Sax is in extremely excellent condition. I replaced 5 pads mainly because tyhey were edge damaged or dirty but the rest of the pads are in very good condition.The case is in excellent condition (always had a cove3r on it)Does anybody have any info and maybe a value? He needs to sell it to help a grand daughter with cancer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rich B 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: G. LEBLANC ALTO SAX

The extra key below the low D key means that it is a LeBlanc Rationale.  The Rationale key system is unique in that it is a true Boehm system (eliminating undervented keys), which evens out the tone, intonation and response, and it provides a simple means of shifting the scale a half step using th F# key.  They are excellent, rare, and highly sought-after top line horns made by Beaugnier  for LeBlanc.  

Here's a link to the most complete information you're likely to find on the Rationale:

http://www.saxgourmet.com/leblanc.htm

You can also go onto youtube and find demonstrations of what the Rationale system is all about.

To get an idea of value to the seller, check recent closed listings for similar horns on ebay.  One of these horns in top condition should fetch some good $ from someone who knows what they are about.

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

10 years ago

Is it possible to post up a quick photo of your LeBlanc saxophone here? 

Thanks,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

2. by saxgourmet
      (127 posts)

10 years ago

it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you have a "le Rationale", as that only 22 were made.....they also have considerable very unique keywork.....what you most likely have is the far more common (a little over 1200 built) Leblanc System......I own 6 Leblanc System horns......they rarely sell for significant money....if you are having pads replaced, be SURE that they use the correct thickness!....here's a couple of pictures of a genuine "le Rationale"......the patent drawings for the Leblanc System horns are on my www.saxgourmet.com website.....they're fascinating

STEVE GOODSON
      New Orleans
      www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post