Saxophone Forum

by calewis
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Buffet Crampon Paris Tenor Sax 1940s & Selmar Artist mouthpiece

I have a Buffet Crampon Paris, France tenor sax. I believe it is from the 1940s. The serial number is 18836.

I have the original case. It has been fully restored, and plays beautifully. I have a new case and also the original case.

I also have the paperwork, but it is at my parents' house, which is why I am uncertain of the exact year. I will get the paperwork soon.

Lastly, I also have a brand new Selmar Artist jazz metal mouthpiece, which cost around $300.

This is truly a remarkable instrument and I would love for it to be played again by someone who can enjoy it.

If anyone could give me any information or point me in the right direction as to how much it is worth, or where to sell it, please let me know.

Thank you so much!

-Carrie 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by calewis
    (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Buffet Crampon Paris Tenor Sax 1940s & Selmar Artist mouthpiece

It may be older than I thought. I just looked up the serial number on the site and it said 1909-1910. I was always told it was 1940s. Still not sure.

Also, correction: Selmer Artist mouthpiece, not Selmar

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
      (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Buffet Crampon Paris Tenor Sax 1940s & Selmar Artist mouthpiece

That serial number came up in 1972 after Buffet serial numbers were reset in 1950.  That leaves the Super Dynaction and S series as possibilities.  Both are highly regarded.  The information and photographs on saxpics.com can give some guidance as to which one yours is.  In any event, the faded engraving on your horn indicates that it is a heavily buffed relacquer.  That is a major strike against the value of the horn because heavy buffing often causes mechanical damage and savvy buyers don't want to take a chance that a horn has been damaged that way.

Reply To Post