Saxophone Forum

by chiamac
(586 posts)
20 years ago

other than pearls?

anyone ever put stones or something else besides pearls on a sax? I think it would be neat... any comments?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by johnsonfromwisconsin
    (767 posts)

20 years ago

Re: other than pearls?

I'd try polished hematite. It would look rather striking on something black laquered, is a cheap material, and is durable. The problem is that it would also be more slippery than pearl when polished, and a jewler's time to form it to the right shape, size would be costly.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

I hav heard of people using hematite before - they said they had to rough it up cause they couldnt hold the sax right, which made it look kind of neat on the matte sax that I saw it on. I want to put turquoise touches on mine - but they would run about 50 a piece just for labor - wouldnt be too much more for the actual stone...but still, just in labor, you are already up to 500 bucks. The remedy? those bach strad finger buttons made of turquoise - I am pretty sure they are the same as the selmer pearls, but am not yet sure - money has been the main constriction on reseach for this. (Of course turquoise would go best with silver.)

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
        (586 posts)

20 years ago

I "would" do all the work myself... but yeah, you would almost need to have the stones cupped inorder to hold the horn. This would not only add cutting cost, but rule out cheaper stones. I mean why would someone want to spend $$ on cheap stones? but yeah, it would look pretty damn good.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM