Saxophone Forum

by OzShires
(1 post)
10 years ago

Conn Elkhart 1926 C Melody

Hi All,

A vintage saxophone has come into my possession and I was hoping someone on here might be able to give me some extra information on it.  Has a nice floral engraving with Made by C.G Conn Ltd, Elkhard, Ind, USA.  Also has 

PATD DEC 8 1914
C
M180xxx
H

So far I have been able to find out that it was manufactured in 1926-27.  It's high pitch C Melody Instrument.  I was hoping someone may be able to add more information and possible a valuation of the instrument??  No dents or scratchs, original mouthpiece and case both in excellent condition.  The instrument hasn't actually been used since the 1940's as it was my great grandfathers.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Conn Elkhart 1926 C Melody

a high pitch (A=456) instrument cannot be used with modern low pitch (A=440) instruments......as a result, the value is really nothing

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by historicsaxwhisperer
    (644 posts)

10 years ago

In the early days, low pitch meant a=440 High pitch was as stated higher and made you sound out of pitch when playing along with other instruments. BUT, a high pitch C melody in this serial number range is in fact a not so common thing. To a collector, they are not so common. A few hundred bucks is its value, but it is not common.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgourmet
      (127 posts)

10 years ago

I rather doubt anyone is actually collecting high pitch C melodies.....

STEVE GOODSON
      New Orleans
      www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by historicsaxwhisperer
        (644 posts)

10 years ago

Ive refurbished hundreds of old carcass saxophones. Many Many C melodies. Never ever seen a high pitched one. Never seen an F mezzo either. The Tuning Mechanism on the Conn C melody is a wonderful thing. A high pitched C melody using a tenor mouthpiece and adjusted correctly can play in tune. I'd gladly add a High Pitched in that serial number range to my extensive collection. So late in the sax history that only an eccentric would have wanted a high pitched in 1926. Would have been a special order. Collectors like the the abstract. My boss in the financial world purchased the James Bond Aston Martin for 4.6 million a few years ago. He's not able to use it, drive it to work for obvious reasons, but he is humored just by owning it. I'd gladly add a F mezzo to my collection as well.

Reply To Post