Saxophone Forum

by spazzynerd
(1 post)
10 years ago

How Cheap is too Cheap?

I played Alto for the last coupleof years and I'm looking at buying a tenor. I found some used ones that are under $500, but is that too cheap? I found brands like Atuigua Winds, Conn 10M, and Bundy II. I'm not too picky, I play a 40 year old flute, but Tenor Saxophones are new territory and I don't know what price range I should be looking at. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by kelsey
    (930 posts)

10 years ago

Re: How Cheap is too Cheap?

I started on clarinet in the 4th grade. My parents found an old metal clarinet from an older girl who had quit taking band classes. My Band Director at the time was the exception to the fine band directors I've known since, he didn't know or just didn't care that the horn my parents had purchased didn't work. Looking back now I believe that the pads were leaking badly. My progress on the horn was a no starter. This is why I say to you, get someone to play (check out) any horn you are considering before you buy it. A saxophone overhaul can run in the hundreds.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

10 years ago

Sadly, the older 4th grade girl may have stuck with music had she not had a leaky metal clarinet. Kudos to you for keeping with it!!! Couldn't agree more with the idea of getting kids good equipment!!

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
        (930 posts)

10 years ago

Mark, I have been a professional musician (saxophone and flute), a music producer, an arranger and composer and a music teacher over the last 50 years. I still hate the clarinet. My point in all this is a cheaper horn is never a bargain...if you don't value your time it's OK to buy a cheaply made bad horn...but if you do then it might be better to take up singing...or Harmonica?

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

2. by FlyTWA
      (6 posts)

9 years ago

500 can get you great horn as long as you are patient and do your homework. As a very very general rules. Stay away from china and Mexico made horns. Never buy without playing. No two horns are made the same or sound the same. There are exceptions of corse. Never buy online Because you can't play it. if it plays and sound good who cares about few scratches so don't forget vintage horns just the pay attention to pads, springs and solder joints. Love looking for new used instruments just like Xmas just have patients. Craigslist and local Facebook garage sale sites. Be safe never meet alone always at public locations with plenty of people. Do not be afraid to google the sellers name or address. Watch old listing some sellers flip instruments and not always just for money, because the horn sucks. Good luck do your homework!

Reply To Post