Saxophone Forum

by zenosax
(15 posts)
10 years ago

Soprano Sax

Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy a soprano sax, I played the alto for 2 years (Yamaha 82Z) but never played a sop.  I also play the clarinet.  Which sop is recommended for beginners  (budget 800 to 1000) ?  Are the Kessler Custom or Antigua sop good saxes for beginners?  I know the big names are the preferred ones (Selmer, Yamaha, Yani and Jk) but I can't afford one of these right know.  Please help me in my search!  

Zenosax 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by birdlover
    (43 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax

I would not recommend a soprano for a beginner, not a good choice. If I were you I’d stick with the alto for the time being. Saxquest has some student model altos for a very good price and in the range you mentioned, and it’s the best place I can think of to purchase one. I’d steer clear of most of the online dealers in used horns, I’ve had some pretty bad experiences with some of them. I seem to have a penchant for learning the hard way. The problem with sopranos is the intonation factor because of their small size. Any inconsistencies with an immature embouchure will be magnified. Tenors and altos are more forgiving in that aspect which makes them a better choice for beginners. The horns that I bought from a few online dealers were touted as being ready to play but when I took them to my tech they were riddled with leaks in a most inexcusable manner so you end up spending more than you bargained for. Stick with Saxquest, they’re the good guys.

https://www.saxquest.com/index.php/store/category/student-saxes-C26

Reply To Post

1. by zenosax
      (15 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Soprano Sax

Thanks for your advice.

Reply To Post