Saxophone Forum

by steveuk
(1 post)
10 years ago

Liberty Conn Engraving History

I've owned this sax for about 25 years now and have only just now decided to look into its history...and no, I don't play so its been in a cupboard for many years!

From what I can establish so far is that its a New Invention from around 1914 judging from the serial.

What I'm most interested in is the engraving. Its message leads me to believe this sax was specifically made for somone/something...but what?

I haven't been able to find a link with Kansas City.

Can anyone help shed some light on this?

Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Liberty Conn Engraving History

The "P" with the serial number means that it was built for sale as a stencil horn, i.e. one to be sold under the merchandiser's, not the manufacturer's, brand.  The stencil serial numbers have no relation to those for the Conn company's mainline horns.  Stencil horns were watered-down versions of the horns produced for the manufacturer's brand.  They tend not to generate much interest except with a small but dedicated group of stencil afficionados, and that is reflected in their market value.

The microtuner neck was a feature added to Conn altos in the early 1920s, which is the best clue as to your horn's age.   Yours looks a lot like a New Wonder, only without the rolled toneholes.

Reply To Post