Saxophone Forum

by CF
(1 post)
10 years ago

Tenor Sax reviews

My son is getting ready to play the Tenor Sax for the fisrt time. He has played the Violin, Clarinet and the Bass Clarinet. Now his music teacher has asked him to step into playing the Tenor. I would like to get him started with a fairly decient horn but nothing too costly, just in case they switch him again. He is very musically inclined and learns new instruments easily. His goal was to get to play a Sax but I think he originally wanted the Alto. I don't want to buy a piece of crap that will break quickly, but I also don't want to buy the most expensive one out there. The rent to owns cost an arm an a leg, especially if it becomes long term and if this becomes his long term insrument, I want to know that I starting him out with a decient horn. Any thoughts on what to look at and more inportantly wht NOT to buy? Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax reviews

take a look at this assortment of tenors....there are videos and sound demonstrations for them all.....feel free to call me with your questions.....this is the only place you can actually talk with the designer

http://nationofmusic.com/index.php/product-category/tenors/ 

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Tenor Sax reviews

It seems kind of unusual for a school to ask a student to pick up an instrument without having an instrument to provide.

Sounds like you're pretty unsure about how long your son will be on tenor, in which case the depreciation of a new horn could come into the equation pretty heavily.  A used Yamaha YTS-21 or 23 in good condition would be the safest way to go.  They're very common horns.  

Reply To Post