Saxophone Forum

by dcheng
(2 posts)
10 years ago

is the Selmer AS42 a good saxophone

I've been looking for a low end professional or an intermediate saxophone that is under $3.5k. I've also looked at the Yamaha YAS-62. I want to know if the AS42 is any good, since Selmer isn't known for their pro saxophones. I've looked all over the web for reviews, and only found one... please tell me if the AS42 is any good. If not, any reccomendations would help. Thanks

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: is the Selmer AS42 a good saxophone

Lots of hype over the "Selmer Paris" neck and mouthpiece, but I'm not aware of anything that would really distinguish it from other Taiwan made horns that sell for a lot less.

Reply To Post

1. by dcheng
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

thanks, Ive seen some skepticism over selmer USA making a professional horn. I was wondering if it was really a professional horn. Would you reccomend the AS42 over the YAS-62III?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

10 years ago

No, I wouldn't.  I would trust the quality and out-of-the-box playability of the Yamaha over that of a Selmer.  I'm presuming you're familiar with the 62III and how it sounds and plays.

Reply To Post

2. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

10 years ago

The AS42 isn't a pro horn. If you want a pro Selmer you'll have to go with their pro line which is very expensive  (but also the best I'm aware of but overpriced). The Yamaha 62 line is about half the price of the pro Selmers, is a good horn and would be my first choice if my Mark Vls were to dissapear.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM