Saxophone Forum

by vintage lover
(3 posts)
19 years ago

Overhauling A 1926 Martin Alto Sax

Just got a 1926 Martin Silver Alto sax. the body is in great shape but I need to replace corruded springs, pads and I am having a problem with stuck screws. I have applied some WD-40 but screws wont even budge. What are some techniques to loosen screws?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Overhauling A 1926 Martin Alto Sax

penetrating oil - dont screw up the screws or it may make it impossible to get out - they only make easy-outs so small.

Reply To Post

1. by sax_maniac
      (984 posts)

19 years ago

Sometimes all you can do is unsolder the post to get out a rusted screw, unfortunately. Sometimes penetrating oil won't even do it. Hopefully the oil does the trick for you.

Reply To Post

1. by vintage lover
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

I was able buy Liquid Wrench a type of penetrating oil that came in a spray can. Fortunately I was able to take our most of the stuck screws yesterday night but I still have 2 which will not even move. Today I will try to unsolder which was the only thing I could think off. Your email confirms it! thanks . I am also needing help in buying pads and springs. Do you or anyone have any idea of where I can buy these parts? Arthur S. Miami, Fl Arthur M.S. Miami, Fl

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

how long did you let the liquid wrench work? That is some good stuff, but you have to let it work for a LOOONG time - I have let it work on nasty lug nuts work 3 or 4 days before - you just have to keep applying it every hour or so. (liberllly.) BUT, on a sax, you will know after a couple hours whether it is going to come out or not.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

I am not sure what kind of pads to use on martins - not much of a fan of them - I imagine something fairly thick and soft - might want to look at the kangaroo pads on musicmedic.com. As for springs - tell ferees to send you a catalogue and get an assortment of blued needle springs - everyone toots those stainless springs as being fantastic, but they arent - they are MUCH softer than the stainless springs, which means you have drill some posts out which is bull - the sax was made a way for a reason.

Reply To Post

3. by vintage lover
          (3 posts)

19 years ago

Thanks for the help but I am vertailly new at this forum and I do not know who or what is ferees. Is this a website or a person, and how can I make contact.

Reply To Post

4. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

www.ferreestools.com I bought their blued steel spring assortment. A little pricey for doing one horn as there's a ton of them included, but they are nicely arranged and you could always sell the set when you are done with it.

Reply To Post

5. by sax_maniac
          (984 posts)

19 years ago

You should get their spring pliers, too.

Reply To Post

6. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

19 years ago

oh shit good catch - I can just imagine him trying to get that thing to work without smashing the ends, the image makes me laugh and the state the sax would play when he does get it to work makes me laugh harder.

Reply To Post

7. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I was just reading some of these posts that I haven't seen before. I know I'm a couple months late on this. I have a New wonder alto which I just finished up. When I got this thing, it was a wreck! Half the keys wouldn't even move, I went to Kmart where I had seen these big rubbermade containers, and I bought one, set the alto in it and bought about 3 gallons of kerosene and totally submerged the horn in kerosene. I let it sit in the garage for about 3 weeks before I even touched it. When I pulled it out, not only had the kerosene removed a lot of the tarnish from the horn, but all of the action was free and all but 1 of the screws came out easily.

Reply To Post Yahoo!