Saxophone Forum

by Armstrong Alto!
(19 posts)
20 years ago

The MYSTERY Saxophone...

I have a weird old c-melody sax. It says something about "Marlin" or "Martin" on the bell, and I'm pretty sure something about Elkhart, Indiana, where Selmer is based. BUt that's besides the point. This thing is in pretty sad shape. I've been thinking about fixing it up for about a year....but I'm lazy. Is it possible to replace pads yourself?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SaxMan
    (559 posts)

20 years ago

Re: The MYSTERY Saxophone...

its a Martin - probably a comittee - (to be technical.) more commonly known simply as "the martin" It is possible to replace the pads, but if the thing is in too bad shape, you just get pissed at it, working on it.

Reply To Post

1. by Armstrong Alto!
      (19 posts)

20 years ago

a commitee? do explain... another weird thing about it....it appears as if someone has laquered over the silver finish....so now it's a weird blue. Go Figure. Yeah, i've considered not even trying to restore it, and just making it into a lamp. Who knows.

Reply To Post

1. by Armstrong Alto!
        (19 posts)

20 years ago

The Mystery is solved!!! I looked up the martin committee thing, and it was the one! The pictures i found were just silver instead of blue! So.... Is it worth anything?

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

I cant imagine a lacquer causing it to be blue. DO you actuall have it, or only pictures? silver is capable of reflecting backa single wave length, as well as a few other metals when highly polished. THe martins are great playing horns, but they are totally inflexible, you are only going to get out of them what they give you, and you cant force them to do anything. There are a lot of martin fanatics out there, that will pay more for one in good condition that a regular one. if it was totally playable in mint condtion, I would say about 2200 dollars. Whatever you do, please dont turn it into a lamp, you could at least sell it to a repair technician for parts, so that he could keep other vintage horns playing.

Reply To Post

2. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

20 years ago

Yes, i actually own it. It's painted blue, or something, but i can tell cuz in certain spots i can see drips where the paint/laquer/whatever...uh....dripped. It's in pretty bad shape. PLenty of broken/unusable springs on it, and some pads are crap. But unless i can get it working, i'll keep it in my possesion, and NOT sell it to a tech. The only tech that lives remotely close to me is 30 miles away, and then the rest are probably in the Twin Cities, and i don't feel like searching for some yet. Perhaps.

Reply To Post

3. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

oh, for some reason I thought it was an alto - well a C melody will fetch 600 at best. It probably is not worht restoring, not for a C-melody.

Reply To Post

2. by saxxykid
        (2 posts)

19 years ago

i also have a c melody sax that's in bad shape, in the back of my closet; are you interested in selling for parts? my is in tough shape too.

Reply To Post

1. by connsaxman_jim
          (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I have a 1922 Conn New Wonder Series I C Melody parts horn; I say parts horn because it's missing the neck. It comes with a case and a mouthpiece, AND....IT PLAYS!!!. It will need some minor adjusting and maybe a pad or 2 changed. It was repadded in the 1960's. I played it as a kid, and the octave key on the neck broke. This is a common problem on the straight neck C Melodies because the octave key is so long and thin. Well, somehow the neck was seperated from the horn, and we've moved and I have do idea where the neck is! I bought another 1922 Conn New Wonder C Melody off Ebay a few months ago and just finished changing some pads and adjusting it. I haven't gotten all the bugs worked out of it yet, but it's comming along. I will sell you this parts horn for $100 if your interested, and I would just about be willing to bet that your neck would fit it. If you're interested, measure the neck on yours and I'll measure the neck on mine and we can compare sizes. Is yours a straight neck? Not sure how much difference it would make if the overall length of the neck is the same and it fits into the body of the horn.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by connsaxman_jim
            (2336 posts)

19 years ago

I've listed this C Melody on Ebay Reserve is only $80! cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3769378430&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Reply To Post Yahoo!