Saxophone Forum

by saxplayer97
(1 post)
10 years ago

Buying a Saxophone For the First Time

I'm 16 years old and I'm going into 11th grade so it'll be roughly 5 years that I have been playing an Alto Sax for school, and I usually rent a saxophone from Russo Music or Music and Arts through my school and then return it at the end of the school year and repeat the process the following school year. Renting instruments was normal in my middle school (7th-9th), and lots of studenta did it, but now that I am in the high school building (10th-12th), I noticed everyone already owned their instrument and I was the only one who had to wait for it to be delievered to the school (which took at least a month). I figured I know I want to play alto sax into college and on the side throughout my adult life, but I don't want to have to keep renting my sax, nor do I want to keep receiving a student (6th-8th grade) level saxophone, I've considered purchasing the saxophone thaf I rent but it's always a student level sax meant for kids who are just starting off. I've been playing for 5 years and I need advice on what I should do! Thanks. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Buying a Saxophone For the First Time

Condition is more important than the model, provided a certain minimum standard of workmanship is met.  Beyond that, there are myriad variables to consider - the sound you want, playing environment, budget......  A used YAS-23 in good condition is a safe choice and they're ubiquitous.  They're student horns, but good student horns. 

Reply To Post