Saxophone Forum

by gorflox7
(2 posts)
10 years ago

Looking at a new DC Pro

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about the newer models of Dominic's (Dominic's Music) DC Pro series as well as some of the other saxes he is selling. I was in his Salem shop today and tried a Conn 24M (very good tone except for the low D and C which was a little tough) and a Bridgecraft USA (had good though not impressive tone throughout all notes). I then asked what the next step up would be and he gave one of his DC Pro Boston Series. The DC, honestly, played beautifully. The tone was rich and much deeper than the other altos. I'm switching back to alto after playing the bari sax for a few years so the tone was very appealing to me.

I'm going off to college soon so I don't have much disposable income . My budget is ~$500 normally or ~$1000 if I sell my Kessler Custom (which I am not too attached to). I intend on playing in some of the school's bands, so nothing really professional. Dom's retiring soon so he's having a large clearance sale, and this sale is what attracted me to the shop in the first place. The DC is going for about $1,000 while the other two are going for about $500. So the question is: Does anyone have any experience with his recent horns? Are they much more prone to breaking? Does the tone wear out? Are they actually fine pieces of work?

I am aware that these horns are Tawain made and not always consistent. I was not sure if, after the better part of a decade (last post was in 2007), his stuff got any better.

Thanks in advance!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Looking at a new DC Pro

Why not just stick with your Kessler Custom?  If yo're looking for your dream horn, save your pennies and enjoy the search.  There are lots of good, moderately priced horns coming out of Taiwan.

Reply To Post

1. by gorflox7
      (2 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Looking at a new DC Pro

Honestly, I don't like my Kessler. It's incredibly difficult to change octaves and the tone is very poor. I did end up investing in the Conn 24M and I am very happy with it. It's significantly more playable and should serve me well when I go off to college. It may not be my dream horn, but I'm happy with it. I'll definitely save up for the perfect sax if I end up playing more than I expect.

Reply To Post