Saxophone Forum

by zenosax
(15 posts)
10 years ago

Best way to keep a lacquered sax from tarnishing

I live in a very humid place, a friend told me that it is better to keep my horns out of the cases and on the stands.  Is that true?  Or should I keep them in the case?  Is there any product that I can use to absorb the humidity in the case?  I'd like to hear your thoughts on this matter.
Thank you. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

10 years ago

Re: Best way to keep a lacquered sax from tarnishing

You can use the Rico Reed Vitalizer refill packs in your sax case to help control the humidity level. They were designed for reed cases, but would do the same thing in an instrument case. Your case is not air tight so it woun't be perfect. But I would imagine that 2 or 3 of these in a closed case would help control the humitity level. Clarinet players use these all the time, as its more essential for a clarinet to stay at a constant humidity. Here's a link where these can be purchased at Saxquest.

http://www.saxquest.com/product/view/rico-reed-vitalizer-refill-pack-P6587

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by Saxquest
      (420 posts)

10 years ago

Of course, the best way to control lacquer blemishes on your saxophone is to use always wipe it down after use and make sure all traces of spit are cleaned from the horn inside and out. Use of a pull through swap on the inside and a shammy on the out side is best practice.

Cheers,
           Mark Overton
           www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by zenosax
        (15 posts)

10 years ago

Thanks Mark, Are silica gel packs also good at controlling humidity?

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
          (930 posts)

10 years ago

Mark, I live in Florida as you once did. It's very humid as you know. I will never leave a horn on a stand. I always put them away in a case when not being used. It's also good to wipe off my silver flutes carefully before putting them away. I have a friend who just leaves a YTS 62 on a stand 24/7. Yamaha must have super lacquer, because after years with only a window air conditioner that's not always turned on, the horns finnish is still very good.

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM