Saxophone Forum

by FredCDobbs
(77 posts)
20 years ago

Mouthpiece try outs

After playing the tenor for a year, I picked up my alto the other day just to fool around, and found that my tone had improved immensely. My instructor agrees, but says I need a new mouthpiece (from my Selmer C*) for jazz. I'm going to try a Meyer G (6 or 7), and a Morgan Excaliber. Are there other brands I should seriously consider? (I'm surprised at what the tenor did for the alto--although I had to relearn the umboucher for the higher range, the low notes came effortlessly. Has anyone else noticed this kind of thing?)

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by sax_maniac
    (984 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Mouthpiece try outs

I've noticed that phenomenon. When I first got a tenor and somewhat neglected my alto, I had to build my embouchre back up for alto. Also, when I first got into soprano and worked up those chops, I found that playing alto was almost effortless. It's muscle development, basically. There's muscle memory as well to consider. Try Vandoren Java/V5 A45 facing as well. As far as what jazz mouthpiece, are you going to order a bunch through wwbw or weinermusic and return the "losers"?

Reply To Post

1. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

20 years ago

The more expensive the mouthpiece DOES NOT mean it is the better mouthpiece. I am currently playing on a meyer 5M and i pefered than the excalibur. And there 60$. try a non metal link with an oleg ligature and you have a great set up. Though if you have the money try hard rubber AND metal bergs. They are very consistant mouthpieces

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

for alto, 5 is too small, 6 is good enough if you cant get a 7, but 7 is really where it is at, and I would go for the standard meyer - not the G.

Reply To Post

1. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks everyone. Yes, I was going to use WWBW and send back the mp's I didn't want. SaxMan, what's the difference between the regular Meyer and the G? And, in going from the C* to a Meyer 7, will the 7 be very tough to adjust to? I was using a metal Link 7 on the tenor just fine, but I know the alto takes a lot more lip. I don't mind of reasonable period of struggle.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
          (559 posts)

20 years ago

The G is made to mimick the paul desmond sound. and there is less that you can do with it than the standard meyer. THe 7, is an .08 tip opening, the C* is a .067, but the C* has an inferior curve and chamber and ther eownt be too much difference between the C* and 7 in terms of resistance - the 7 will be easier to play, but you have to give it more support and you be able to play as long on it as on the C* before getting really tired. (I am good on a concert, where you are playing the hardest you ever do, for about 2 hours on my 7, but in a concert, I play such that I use about one reed - or at least 2 fibracells) but overall, you wont notice much difference between the 2. (for the effort it takes to play it.)

Reply To Post

3. by barimachine
          (323 posts)

20 years ago

your alto tone should not improve from playing tenor... the embochure is completly different and you have to be dead on when playing an alto you can bend and do what ever the F you want on tenor and its awesome but on alto always on always in tune

Reply To Post

4. by FredCDobbs
          (77 posts)

20 years ago

Thanks for the info Saxman. It was valuable. I'll try the Meyer 7. Bari, I know what you're saying is true. I'm thinking that perhaps the tenor, which takes a lot more air, finally forced me to breathe properly (from diaphragm), and I learned to open my throat with it (both of which my instructor had been hammering me on). Nontheless, after a year of gambling on the low notes on the tenor, they seemed easy and sure on the alto.

Reply To Post