Saxophone Forum

by weijj
(2 posts)
20 years ago

Professional Straight Alto Saxophones

I`ve recently been looking at a professional straight alto saxophone and I was wondering if anyone has ever played on one or owns one. How is the sound compared to the traditional curved alto? What brands make a professional straight alto that are high quality and can take the usual wear and tear? Is it comfortable to play while sitting down for concert or standing up and even marching? Any information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bass sax man
    (31 posts)

20 years ago

Professional Straight Alto Saxophones

Hello, I own a professional straight tenor saxophone made by LaSax, however I believe that the qualities are very similar to a straight alto. What brands make a professional straight alto that are high quality and can take the usual wear and tear? LaSax makes an excellent straight tenor, however I am not sure about their straight altos. I have heard mixed reviews on the LaSax straight altos, however I have only heard good things about the Keilwerth straight altos. Is it comfortable to play while sitting down for concert or standing up and even marching? As for playing sitting down... it is a little uncomfortable on a standard chair, however I play sitting on a stool which is very comfortable. Standing and walking is easy as well. How is the sound compared to the traditional curved alto? The sound is a little different than the curved counterpart... My straight tenor has a much more broad range of sound and tone qualities than my 1940s Conn 10m tenor. My straight tenor can also play much louder or much softer than my 10m. Hope I was helpful ~Blaise~

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
      (600 posts)

20 years ago

Re: Professional Straight Alto Saxophones

Yeah, the only brand I've ever seen with a straight alto is LA Sax. I've tried it, and really wasn't a huge fan, I like the ergonomics better on the curved alto. The sound may have been a touch broader like Blaise said, but not really noticable. I would think there would be a more noticable difference on the tenor, because there is more surface area to be affected. Also, I'm not a fan of LA Sax, so I wasn't really impressed at all. At best, I would call it a good collector's sax.

Reply To Post

2. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

20 years ago

I can garauntee you that the an original mellosax will just put a la mellsax down - though I do not beleive a tenor was ever made.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
        (559 posts)

20 years ago

not to mention that they are a bitch to find playable.

Reply To Post