Saxophone Forum

by haines77
(1 post)
9 years ago

My 12 yr old son

Ok I need some advice, My 12 year old son wants a sax for Christmas. However I have 6 children and am in the military so cannot afford a $300 instrument. I have always made sure that if any of the kids want to try something i.e. sports, music, art, etc. I do everything in my power to make it happen. He is extremely talented at baseball and plays in honor band (baritone). I have checked the local pawn shops and they do not have any. Where can I go to find a cheap but not junkie sax or is there any place that will finance one that any of you know about? Thanks for your help

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: My 12 yr old son

Best to start with a budget of at least $500 and see what reputable dealers in the used market have to offer.  eBay is another possibility, but it's full of pitfalls that can trip up inexperienced buyers.  You should be able to find something decent like a Yamaha YAS-23 for $500-ish and they are well made horns.  An older Bundy I or Buescher Aristocrat from the 1960s or 70s (they are identical horns sold under different brands) might be a good option.  The Martin Indiana was a good second line horn produced from the 1940s to the early 1960s and they are inexpensive.  Some Conn Director "shooting star" horns are good, but the later ones are terrible.  Finding a good used horn on a budget takes time - there might not be a pretty package under the tree, but the quest can be something to share with your son.  

Under no circumstances get one of those candy colored Chinese horns like they sell at WalMart or on Amazon.  Cecilio and Mendini are examples of that type of horn.  If somebody tries to sell you one, head for the door immediately.

I hope this is timely and helpful. 

Reply To Post