Saxophone Forum

by WilliamWatts
(1 post)
9 years ago

Tenor or Alto

I bought an alto a bit ago and thinking of trading it for a tenor.  The shop said they would give me full credit for it so I won't be out any money.  Any thought?  I know embouchure is key to sound but I played a tenor today and the sound was amazing.  Played 3 full songs on it and the notes just seem right, and the slacking off of the lip is 1000x easier. What is everyone's thoughtsOn the songs I'm playing the C # and b# on the song clarify by zedd seem to jump to high. It sounded great on tenor tho. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by magash128
    (2 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Tenor or Alto

I think you should go for it! If you're not going to be out of any money, then why not? If you really like it, you should try!

Reply To Post

2. by PhillipS.
    (9 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Tenor or Alto

I believe that if  you're comfortable about it and like the sound and feel of the tenor you should go for it. Since you won't be out any money there's very minimal to no risks. Careful when/if you transpose and/or arrange music. Tenor is a Bb while alto is Eb. This is key if you want to buy fake books and are even doing jazz improvisation. I love my tenor and it literally is the God of saxes when it comes to jazz. Do it, I highly doubt you'll regret it at all...

Keep It Real
    ~Phil

Reply To Post