Saxophone Forum

by mbillings
(2 posts)
9 years ago

Help identify alto sax

Hello, 
I have an alto sax with evethe schaeffer on the horn and a serial number of 35304 on both the neck and body. I doubt this is helpful but it has ITALY hand etchedon the body, where the neck fits to the body. According to what I found it is either made in France in 1871 or the early 1930s, th issue is evette schaeffer never made a sax with the serial number of 35304. I am at a loss now and would like to find out how much my sax is worth for insurance if needed.  Can anyone help me out?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Help identify alto sax

The only Italian Evette-Schaeffer horns were student line horns, and not very good student line horns at that.  Not enough value to even worry about.

Reply To Post

1. by mbillings
      (2 posts)

9 years ago

The Italy looks like it was hand carved in the instrument, It was manufatured in Paris, France.

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

What makes you so sure about it being manufactured in Paris?  Evette-Schaeffer was a marketing brand of the Buffet company, based in Paris, that sourced horns from a variety of manufacturers in France, Italy, and other places.  If you could post some pictures it might help nail down the era in which it was produced.  Even early Evette-Schaeffers aren't all that valuable.

Reply To Post