Saxophone Forum

by donksax
(1 post)
9 years ago

c melody mouthpiece

I am an above average musician and plan on getting back with a small group.  I play soprano sax and recently purchased a Conn C melody in top condition...except for the mouth piece.  I have been reading reviews on Runyon and Morgan...but here is my dilemma.  Even after I choose the brand....I have no idea what lay or opening to get.  Any suggestions?  I can't afford to play around with multiple pieces.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by SYNCHROJAMES
    (4 posts)

9 years ago

Re: c melody mouthpiece

Hi i have a '25 Conn C melody.  The original mpc was in fine shape-but the back pressure was enough to blow my eyes out.  I thought about the Morgan, but the price was a bit steep for someone at my level (beginner).  After talking with Rob Verdi, the man I bought the sax from, I decided to start out with Rico mpcs.  They're good for a student such as me, and dirt cheap to boot.  The alto played sharp no matter how much I pushed, pulled & dialed.  I settled on a truncated Rico A-7, with a Forestone Black Bamboo #1.  I can get the palm keys easily, and the low end keys are almost as good, and will come along with practice.  
    I shortened the tenon part of the mpc approx. 7 MM, and a CAREFULLY applied section of electrical shrink tube over the neck cork compensated for the diameter difference between the old & new mpc.  Tuning is spot on, with high A at 440cps.  I hacked up two before I figured out the best length, so the low price (around $20) makes Ricos a good choice to experiment on.  Hope this helps
    James

Reply To Post