Saxophone Forum

by mFeldman
(1 post)
9 years ago

1920's Buescher Bass Saxophone

Hi there, 

I recently inherited a Buescher Bass Saxohpone from my grandfather that was purchased by him in the late 90's. He restored the instrument quite well from what I can tell and played it in a Dixieland band for several years. Although I dabble in saxophone occasionally, my primary instrument is classical guitar, so I am looking to sell the saxophone for other music endeavors (maybe even pay for more school!).

The instrument still plays very well, from what I can tell but my technical knowledge of the instruments contruction and component condition is limited. I understand the instrument could sell from anywhere between $4000 to $8000. As I try to sell it, what sort of things will potential buyers be looking at? How can I check the instruments condition and nuances and convey that information coherently to potential buyers in a language that they are looking for? Some things that come off the top of my head are: pad condition, intonation, contruction material, tone hole condition, etc.

The instrument was very well taken care of and restored in a precise manner as my grandfather was an engineer for the apallo missions (granted, that doesn't necessarily qualify one for sax restoration but, I can say he did his research and was precise in the process).

Any and all insight would be greatly appreciated! I've attached a few photos and if it's possible I'd be happy to upload some audio samples as well.

Thanks,

Ian 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: 1920's Buescher Bass Saxophone

One in that condition is definitely going to be toward the higher end of the price range.  Have it looked at by a good technician to get an estimate of the cost of any work that may be required and work back from there.  The more you know about it, the better position you will be in for selling it.

Reply To Post