Saxophone Forum

by YanagisawA-901
(312 posts)
19 years ago

Just blowin off some steam fella's

well, maybe you can add your 2 cents into this one.. theres this kid i kno thats in my grade..hes not too mature about music, hes good, but not nearly as good as any other junior or senior, and im pushin senior status.. this kid by rumor is studying at peabody..its a pretty nice school of music round here.. ..he might just be getting lessons there, but it sure doesnt show.. but this kid just went from a student bundy, to a Kielwerth Sx-90R in like a siver matte finish, and all the keys and rods and stuff are in like a gold laquer..it looks beautiful..but he had to special order that laquer.. now does it make sense for a kid thats not that good, to buy a sax worth 3000+?? cuz thats what he payed for it.. he also has a yanagisawa S-993 i believe..its nice as l.. doesnt make sense, anyone have thoughts??

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Just blowin off some steam fella's

i am a lil jealous..but i just dont know why someone would dish out that kinda money when theyre not ready for somthing like that?? its like walkin the walk w/o talkin the talk.. naw, hes one of my good friends tho, and he has let me play it, and lemme tell ya..silky smoooooth.. a lil hard to project tho, i like my horn much better, it has a much more open sound.. hes a cool kid, and i do think taht a new sax will boost his confidence and whatnot, and hell prolly get better, and ill help him along, i just dont want ppl to get false assumptions of "damn, check out that sax, i bet he can play" when he cant..

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM ICQ

2. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

yea, I've heard peabody is really good. But just cause they have an expensive sax doesn't mean they're good. I have a YTS62II, and I'm just an eighth grade sax player. In fifth grade, our last chair alto had a YAS875EX. believe me, by the end of the year i was drooling. It looks so nice, but doesn't sound very good from her. She still has it, but moved up a chair. Sounds like he's passionate for sax, might be one of those "secret 1st chairs" people who are really good, but don't care about school music. I don't think they have those in highschool, though but in middle school it happens. Or he might just have a lot of money...

Reply To Post

3. by YanagisawA-901
    (312 posts)

19 years ago

yea, thats just it, hes terrible..i dont get it.. he might be really good at home, but hates school..haha i doubt it, theres no maturity in his tone or anything, u cant disguise that.. i donno

1. by The_MarkVI
      (80 posts)

19 years ago

the keilwerth is called the german silver finish. God people get it right. (or i need a life) lol usally the good sax comes from a person in family who gave up sax

Reply To Post

1. by karebear1012
        (395 posts)

19 years ago

maybe he just really WANTS to be good, and he thinks a really nice horn will do that for him. i hate how like whenever i go to lacrosse tryouts how the kids who CANT play have the nicest sticks and stuff. they usually end up quitting and wasting the money lol. let's see..i'm getting a really nice horn one of these days, and it's not like im a pro, but i love playing the sax and i know that i'll do it in high school. so i guess it depends on the person. cya, Kara

Reply To Post

1. by Armstrong Alto!
          (19 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, i still have the Armstrong i started on 8 years ago. Starting to smell a little funky, but still plays what i need it too. Although....a selmer wouldn't be TOO bad....

Reply To Post

2. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

I knew a kid who's parents bought him a mercadies (spelling) for his 18th bday.... of his choice. the guy was a prick though, then one of my best freinds is seeing this guy, he was debating which BMW to get... and he is only 18. But this guy is actually good shit (from what I hear) so maybe the family has money laying around to buy a nice sax for the kid. who knows...

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by YanagisawA-901
        (312 posts)

19 years ago

yea, just sendin out some thoughts..it might make him better for a little bit just cuz of the confidence issue he gets from havin a beautiful sax..cuz that thing is amazing.. but alls i kno is i like my yani-901 and i can outplay that kid any day..but thats not what its all about..its about the love of music.. haha u like that??

1. by golferguy675
          (600 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, does that alto player in Herbie's group still teach at Peabody's? If he does, I wouldn't be real jealous. It's basically just personal pref, but I can't stand the way that guy solos. Anyway, if he has the money, and his parents will pay for it, I don't see why it is a problem for him to get it, and why it upsets you. It sounds like you're extremely jealous, and think you should have it because you're better than he is. You shouldn't resent the kid because he got a good sax when he isn't all that great. Wishing for a fellow musician to fail, or anything along that line, is the worse thing you could do, and will only make you worse as a player. You should be happy for the kid, maybe he'd let you play it. Although I'm sure he wouldn't if he knew you were posting this crap about him on the internet. Blow your steam off somewhere else.

Reply To Post

1. by martysax
            (148 posts)

19 years ago

Blow the steam through your horn. That's what it's for. Sometimes a new horn is enough inspiration to improve. Unfortunately, most young players haven't yet formed their own "voice," and may sound different with different horns. Work on your own sound, and kick his ass off the stage when you have the chance!

Reply To Post

1. by Edde Osborne
              (4 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, I play alto sax. I can't figure out the fingurings for the upper F shape and G. Any ideas out there, because none of the music books I've seen show the figurings for these high notes and I'm sure the notes exsist.

Reply To Post

2. by sax_maniac
              (984 posts)

19 years ago

Your alto may or may not have a high F# key. It very likely does not have a high G key. The high F# key would be located near the right hand palm keys and depressing it would open a tonehole at the very top of the body. If your horn does not have a dedicated High F# key, you would have to learn to play that note and anything above it using an altissimo method. Google your way around the web looking for altissimo fingerings - they are out there. The caveat is that altissimo is more than a fingering - it requires good embouchre control and a mouthpiece that will allow it. Rascher's "Top Tones" book is instructional and has exercises to develop this technique. Good Luck.

Reply To Post