Saxophone Forum

by TheMetalJacket0
(1 post)
9 years ago

Good Saxophone for college.

I'm getting ready to head off to college to get my degree in music education, so, I need to find a horn that last me throughout my career. Any suggestions?

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by GFC
    (842 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Good Saxophone for college.

What are you playing now?  What do you like about it?  What don't you like about it?  

Some music programs are picky about the horns they think their students should play, so that's worth looking into. 

Reply To Post

2. by Mitchel.Russo
    (5 posts)

9 years ago

I agree with the above post.  At the school i first attended for the same program, all sax students were reqired to play Selmer Series III alto's with a C* mouthpiece and Rovner Dark Ligature.  I enjoy my horn and it's lasted me throughout the years and is still going strong.  A good idea may be to get into contact with your future studio prof and see if they have any recommendations or can point you in any directions.  Try out a couple of models from some different brands (Selmer, Yamaha etc.) and see which one you get the best sound, intonation, range and which one feels right overall.  

Hope this helps, and good luck with your studies!  

Reply To Post

3. by Saxquest
    (420 posts)

9 years ago

Selmer Paris Serie II or III would be excellent choices. However, they are expensive. The new Buffet SENZO is another excellent saxophone, but also pricey. You may also want to consider Keilwerth MKX or Yamaha 62 as more affordable options in professional saxophones. Finally, the most bang for your buck can be had with P. Mauriat. Consider the new Master 97 P. Mauriat as an excellent professional alto saxophone with impeccable intonation. 

Cheers,
         Mark Overton
         www.saxquest.com

Reply To Post

1. by kelsey
      (930 posts)

9 years ago

Good advice Mark. My choice would be the Yamaha 62...

Barry Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM