Saxophone Forum

by Derferick
(3 posts)
9 years ago

What key for blues?

I have been learning the alto sax for a couple of years and been lucky enough to find a couple of neighbours who play guitar and are willing to jam with me.

Can anyone tell me where I can find a table that tells me what blues scale to use on the sax when they are playing? For instance, if they are playing blues in Eb, I think I should use the E blues scale - is that right and where can I find a table that tells me for the other keys?

I am afraid that Google has not been my friend on this one.

I know NOTHING about music theory so please use words of one syllable.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Zaxman
    (31 posts)

9 years ago

Re: What key for blues?

The scale you are looking for is your C blues scale on alto.  C Eb F F# G Bb.  The alto is a transposing insturment.  If a guitar, piano or other concert pitch insturment is playing a given note, for example F, transpose down a minor 3rd or up a major 6th on the alto to a D.  If you do this you will be playing in the same key as them.

This can be very confusing at first.  Try a google for "transposing alto saxophone" and you will quickly see a few google images that chart out the transposition for alto and tenor sax.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Derferick
      (3 posts)

9 years ago

I understand that the sax is a transposing instrument. I have found, by trial and error, a set of blues scales that seem to work with blues played in various keys.
      I was wondering whether there is a rule that specifies which blues scale I should play in when my friends are playing in their key.
      They play in Eb, I play in C?
      They play in F sharp - what, then do I play in?
      And so on.

Given the key thay are playing in for a "straight" tune, I know what key I should transpose to ( and using Musescore or Sebelius, that can be done) but do the same rules apply for a blues scale? 

Sorry if I seem a bit "thick" but, as I said, I have done no music theory, everything I have done I have done pretty much by trial and error.
      I have a tutor, but I am trying to do two things at once - follow a proper scheme of tuition and, at the same time, keep up with my friends and jam along with them in blues style.
      I know; you can't have it both ways, but you can't blame me for trying!

Thanks for the reply,
      Fred 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Yes, the same rules apply for a blues scale.  Get some very basic theory under your belt and the rules for transposing will make sense. Get your tutor to help you.  Start with major and minor intervals.  Once you understand the minor third, you can transpose off of any concert key.  Understand the major and minor intervals that make the major, minor, and dominant seventh chords.  Blues scales are based off of dominant or minor seventh chords rooted off the 1st, 4th, and 5th intervals relative to the key center.

Reply To Post

1. by Derferick
          (3 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I'll get onto that.

Reply To Post