Saxophone Forum

by Audiophysical
(2 posts)
9 years ago

C.G Conn vintage saxophone, age and info??

Hi all.

I've purchased a vintage C.G Conn. (75CAD) Gold plated? Well tarnished anyways.
It's been out of a case for years by the looks, couple little dings, a missing spring, some shoddy pads, disintegrated corking where the mouthpiece would be fitted (came without a mouthpiece) and what look like a few repairs on some of the mechanics.
Info:
Dec 8 1914 
     C
     L

If anyone could tell me about this horn and if it's worth spending time and money fixing that would be great! 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: C.G Conn vintage saxophone, age and info??

The serial number is the # 101211, which dates it to early 20's. The L stands for Low Pitch (current tuning system, A=440), and C stands for C Melody. Unfortunately as a C Melody it has a very limited market, not many players play these anymore. If it is gold plated, it is most likely original and never replated. I'm guessing it is probably due for a repad, if it has been sitting for any length of time, and you can pay anything for a pro repad/cleaning depending on where you take it and what kind of materials they use. I would get it to a shop and get a quote, but I wouldn't sink too much in to it. If you plan on playing it for self enjoyment that is one thing, but you won't be able to sit in a traditional band with a C Melody.

Reply To Post