Saxophone Forum

by Jack Cici
(87 posts)
19 years ago

borgani saxophones

hi. i'm new to the saxquest community and i've heard a lot about borganis and how good they are.can anyone back up my opinino?has anyone played a borgani before?thanks Jack

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by manicreed
    (10 posts)

19 years ago

Re: borgani saxophones

I've never heard of "how good" Borganis are. In fact until I was handed one and told "play" I hadn't heard of them at all. I played it and really didn't like, tone problems, feels very cheaply made. (Soprano) That's just my opinion.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
      (575 posts)

19 years ago

ThePurple, you may have been handed an older model Borgani. Until relatively recently, Borgani produced mostly student grade (at best) saxophones. The present Borgani family member who runs the company decided that he wanted to return the company back to it's former glory, and start making only professional grade horns again. The latest models (such as the Gold Pearl model played by Joe Lovano) are excellent handmade horns, and definitely worth a look.

Reply To Post

1. by golferguy675
        (600 posts)

19 years ago

Is that what Joe was playing recently? I saw him with something new at the Saxophone Summit and didn't get a chance to ask him about it(too busy talking to Leibman : ). It definetly has a very unique look to it, and it sounded very resonant.

Reply To Post

1. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

Yes, Joe is an endorser of Borgani horns, so I suspect he will be playing (during live performances and publicity shoots, at least) for quite some time. I am a longtime player/collector of vintage American Saxophones and prefer them, but I tried a few of the new handmade Borgani's and can honestly say that the seem to come closer to the best of the American vintage models than anything else being offered presently, with the possible exception of the R & C horns. Their American distrubution and availabilty leaves a LOT to be desired, so I don't think that most can expect to see them at the local music super store anytime soon.

Reply To Post

2. by dougal
        (3 posts)

19 years ago

to all of you shut the hell up they are really excellently made saxes i myself owned one until i got my hands on a mkVI if it wasnt for the mkVI id still be playing mine and now branford marsarlis, tim garland,art theman(you may not of heard of them im english and theyere big here) and jo lovanoe are playing them they are truly great horns

Reply To Post