Saxophone Forum

by zenosax
(15 posts)
9 years ago

Flitz Polishing

My Yamaha 82Z alto sax is begining to show signs of oxidation (brown spots).  Can I use Flitz Polishing cream to remove the oxidation?  Thanks!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by saxgourmet
    (127 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Flitz Polishing

if it's bare brass, yes.......Flitz does a great job.....our shop literally buys it by the kilo!

STEVE GOODSON
    New Orleans
    www.nationofmusic.com

Reply To Post

1. by zenosax
      (15 posts)

9 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply.  The sax is  lacquered, so I guess the answer is no.

Reply To Post

2. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Tiny little brown or rust colored spots on a lacquered horn could be acid bleed, if that's the case I don't think there is much you can do for it. It's a victim of not being properly de-greased at the factory during production, a small spot of grease or oil left on the horn before lacquering will leach to the surface later causing those spots. Most often seen at posts or tone holes or anywhere where the grease can pool during the manufacturing process.

Reply To Post

1. by zenosax
      (15 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you for your reply and info.  Is there a way to stop this process?

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

Short of removing the lacquer, no.  That solder flux is just gonna keep doing it's thing until it's physically removed.

I'm kind of surprised at that problem turning up on a high end Yamaha.  They have a reputation for being near the top when it comes to QC. 

Reply To Post