Saxophone Forum

by Bigdog
(1 post)
19 years ago

Vintage Saxophone Information

Hello. I have recently aquired a vintage saxophone and am curious about its make, model and price. Here is the information from the back of the sax... PATD Sept 14,1915 1153489 A P32251 L If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by Bass sax man
    (31 posts)

19 years ago

Vintage Saxophone Information

It might be a Conn alto saxophone from 1971.

Reply To Post

1. by SaxMan
      (559 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Vintage Saxophone Information

ehhh, I would say a pan american stencil, a low pitch alto. Is that "1915" really 1915 or 1914 - I would say that it is probably, in actuality 1914.

Reply To Post

2. by justforfun
    (4 posts)

19 years ago

Don't know if you are still interested. You should be able to tell by the key guard on the lower end of the saxophone. I assume it looks like a mercedes star. Then it is probably a Conn, though the patent date is unusual. Ben

Reply To Post

1. by definition
      (963 posts)

19 years ago

Why is the patent date unusual? Conn put that on many of their horns,(Including stencils) its the patent date for the rolled tone holes.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by connsaxman_jim
        (2336 posts)

19 years ago

That's not the patent for the rolled tone holes. I bet this sax doesn't have rolled tone holes. My guess is that it is a Pan American by Conn and was built in the mid-late 1920's.

Reply To Post Yahoo!

1. by Emu
          (1 post)

19 years ago

I googled "Conn 1915" and this thread came up. I also have an alto sax with that patent date. PATD. SEPT 14 1915 1153489 A 6247 L It's silver, and I'm just starting out doing research on it, but it seems to be a Conn stencil. Mine says "Universal made in USA" on front. Anyone want to point me in the right direction to look this model up? Thanks!

Reply To Post

2. by saxismyaxe
          (575 posts)

19 years ago

The 1914 patent date is for the Haynes DRAWN tonehole process. The rolled tone hole reference by the earlier poster is probably in part my fault, as I absentmindedly wrote this misinformation after 30 hrs of no sleep (Very late Gig that night) on another thread, I of course know better. I only noticed the flub seconds after posting the reply, but it was too late to correct the original post. I quickly wrote a correction post (I've said it before, this board needs to allow you to edit your posts after submitting them!), but I think the damage was done. The "P" before the serial number indicates that it is a Conn Stencil, the " A" stands for Alto, and the "L" for low pitch of course. This horn's serial number cannot be compared to the standard Conn production numbers as to it's age, but I am confident that it was made around the 20's or early 30's, as were so many Conn stencils. They were very busy supplying the Saxophone craze of that era. These horns have been marketed and stamped with thousands of different Stencil names, and although many have been cataloged by those who specialize in the study of Stencil horns, there are still hundreds of names yet to be researches, where possible. At the end of the day, know that it is a Conn horn underneath it all. If you were to post pictures, you would be going a long way towards helping us identify the finer points.

Reply To Post

3. by Dave Dix
          (421 posts)

19 years ago

1915 indicates its a stencil patent and the early serial number will be around 1920.The alto will look just like a conn new wonder without RTHoles but will most probably have alt low Eb key Dave

Reply To Post