Saxophone Forum

by apoc7k
(20 posts)
19 years ago

Upgrading to a new horn...

Alright, I'm a sophomore in High School and I want to switch instruments. I'm planning to get into jazz very seriously and I want a horn that will be good and last throughout High School and College. I've looked through a number of horns but I haven't really decided what will be a good horn for me, and for that matter a good mouthpiece. Currently I'm using a low-end Yamaha and just have been looking at new horns for "the one". A few ones that I've been interested in are: - Selmer series III - Selmer series II - Selmer Mark VI - Selmer Reference 54 - Yani A9930 - Yani A9933 Anyways I would be very interested in a new horn but I guess I dont know what I should get. And also what would you guys recommend me looking to for a Jazz mouthpiece. I want something that will really project sound and have a nice rounded sound. Not something where its going to stick out really bad, just something that would sound good in a big band.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by chiamac
    (586 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Upgrading to a new horn...

why not get a old conn or a less expensive vintage horn... not because they are better than the ones you listed (allthough I would argue for the conns) BUT I would (and did) rather leave my $1000 conn in the band room overnight than a $3000 new/vintage horn. it's also less responsibilty... but that's just me.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by apoc7k
    (20 posts)

19 years ago

Well, I typically wouldn't be leaving my horn at school. And we have lockers for our horns so leaving them someplace wouldn't be by any means a concern. Anyways this horn would probably see much less use in concert band just for the sole reason of the people in my band. Most people screw around so much that its really a hazardous enviroment for the horns. I think that in time I will just get myself a horn like one of the listed ones, and then just leave it in my car, locker, or at home.

Reply To Post

1. by saxgrobie
      (86 posts)

19 years ago

Hey, I'm in your same position. I'm a sophomore too and the Jupiter is getting a litte worn. Believe me, I'm no expert, but of the horns you have listed, the Mark VI is the most reputable. (notice I did not say best, because I have never tried one) Only problem is that its extremely expensive, and probably too good for me! I don't really deserve that kind of a horn, especially with the wear and tear that my high school playing would put on it. I wouldn't be ready for it yet. Now, that's just me. You could be totally different and way more advanced than me. I'd just rather stick with something I wouldn't have to be all jumpy about. (My friend has a Bach Strat. Trumpet and he is sooooo protective of it.) Hope I could help, Kelsey

Reply To Post AIM

1. by tenor562
        (297 posts)

19 years ago

I'd reccomend giving yamaha a try. The 62 is a good horn, but probably won't take you too far into your pro career, but the Z's and the 875's are really good horns. I own a 62, and use a school's 23, and the 62 is so good, I can't imagine what the Z's or 875's are like. Before you get any horn, be sure to try out the Pro Yamaha line.

Reply To Post

1. by chiamac
          (586 posts)

19 years ago

oh another word of advice... (common sense really, but my parents didn't get it) so they literally made me trade in my old crappy tenor for my 10M, this would have been fine and dandy if it wasn't for... PEP BAND! so remeber kids, keep the old horn around just in case. It's not worth saving a few 100. (again, most of you would get this but my parents didn't)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

2. by saxaholic001
          (4 posts)

19 years ago

I have both a yanagisawa and a vintage conn. I have a yanagisawa 901 alto, and a 16M tenor. I prefoer the yanagisawa over the conn but the conn plays very well. But the yanagisawa was also about 4x more expensive than the conn so that is something to take into consideration.

Reply To Post