Saxophone Forum

by CindyStuart
(5 posts)
9 years ago

Rene Lorien Tenor Saxophone

Hello Saxophone players!

First let me admit, I'm not a sax player. but now am interested in learning.  A friend just gave me her grandfather's old tenor sax.  On the bell is: "Rene Lorien"

Does anyone have any information about this saxophone.  Didn't see anything on Google.  I am wondering about its quality and value.  Although its large wooden case is coming apart, the sax is in very good condition.  I was impressed that I was able to play a bit of a scale and it sounded like I actually knew how to play!

I appreciate your help.
Thank you.

Cindy Stuart 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by barisaxalpha
    (9 posts)

9 years ago

Re: Rene Lorien Tenor Saxophone

If you could post a few pictures of the horn, it may make it easier for someone to find out some information.

-Josh 

Reply To Post

1. by CindyStuart
      (5 posts)

9 years ago

Here are a few pics taken from an ipod.

I was able ot blow them up on ipod; don't know if you can do it here so to get a better look.

Thanks.
      - Cindy 

Reply To Post

1. by GFC
        (842 posts)

9 years ago

If it has an "L" or "low pitch" stamped on it (usually near the serial number) it is playable to modern tuning standards.  If it has an "H" or "high pitch" stamped it is obsolete. 

Does it have soldered-on tonehole rings with beveled pad seats?

Reply To Post

1. by CindyStuart
          (5 posts)

9 years ago

I don't see an L or an H, but under the thumb rest is a serial number: 0537.

Reply To Post

2. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

It's probably ok, the convention of L and H marking was dropped after high pitch horns were discontinued.  How about the toneholes?  Are they soldered on or drawn out from the body?

Reply To Post

3. by CindyStuart
          (5 posts)

9 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm looking at; I took a few pics that may answer your question about toneholes.

Reply To Post

4. by GFC
          (842 posts)

9 years ago

It looks like a Holton, probably from the 1930s or 40s.  The toneholes are formed out of the same piece of metal as the body.  If they were soldered-on rings, my call would have been Couturiere, who also supplied stencil brands and even some horns under the Holton brand.

http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=5170

The good news is that the horn is in your hands for the right price, it doesn't look damaged, and it doesn't have the nonsensical keywork that earlier Holtons had. The bad news is that Holton stencils are mediocre horns without much value.  Any repair bill over somewhere around $150 could exceed the value of the horn.  It's worth keeping in basic playing condition for a beginner, but as you develop as a player you'll probably want to move on.

If you need a replacement touch for the front F key, make one out of epoxy.

Reply To Post

5. by CindyStuart
          (5 posts)

9 years ago

Thank you so much for your assistance.  Without your kind help, I know I could not have found this information anywhere else or so readily.  I appreciate how you presented the details in a clear and succinct manner.  

I think I will enjoy playing this, once I get used to the size and weight, and I'm glad to know I won't be in danger of harming anything of great value.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
          Cindy  

Reply To Post