Saxophone Forum

by mega band geek
(60 posts)
19 years ago

Can I get you opion on this?

I'm a saxophonist. When I started playing in 6th grade, I fell in love with the bari sax right away. I found myself spending all of my spare time playing my sax, it was my absolute favorite thing to do. But lately, I've been loosing interest in playing. I don't have urges to practice anymore, I don't care if I'm not the top saxophone in the band, and recently, I find that I become very bored very quickly while playing in groups where I used to have a blast playing in. Is there anything I can do to rekindle my love for music? Thanks.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by mega band geek
    (60 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Can I get you opion on this?

Yes, I do realize that I spelled opinion wrong...

Reply To Post AIM

1. by Deacon Blues
      (12 posts)

19 years ago

I can't believe thats possib, There are times when I think that maybe I was not cut out to be a saxman, like when the teacher emphasizes practice on some piece I find a little boring. I feel I can't be bothered to unpack the horn and run the scales. But when I blow through it, I can't believe I ever doubted it! Or when I hear it in a song. I can't see myself playing anything else!!! Just listen to a sax solo, play take five or something. I can't how you can't be moved after that.

Reply To Post

1. by bronzemonkey992
        (22 posts)

19 years ago

or go see a great jazz group like the Yellowjackets! They'll mae ya wanna play after watching them! (I saw them in Harrisburg, Pa last night, and wow what a great time!)

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by karebear1012
          (395 posts)

19 years ago

maybe you just need a bigger challenge. i've been playing trumpet for like 5 yrs, and i did a summer band with these people who have been playing for like 30 years! i was also losing interest in my trumpet (i guess thatz why i started sax too...), but the really difficult music gave me almost an exscuse to practice. after the concert, i felt like i was awesome at the trumpet because i just got through all that music. maybe you should try to find a local band or group that is a lot more advanced, so you're motivated to get better. Good luck!

Reply To Post

2. by mintyfreshjam
          (48 posts)

19 years ago

Listen to what you play and try to emulate one of the greats. Whoever your influences are, find out who their influences were, and listen to them. Then, find out who those guys influences were and listen to them, and try to figure out why it is that they influence you so. Then, try to sound like those guys. It'll keep you busy for hours.

Reply To Post

3. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

19 years ago

So, from everything I've read, Im assumin that c.bs are bad.Does everyonew agreew?

Reply To Post

4. by Jack Cici
          (87 posts)

19 years ago

sorry, i posted on wrong thread

Reply To Post