Saxophone Forum

by happymomfl
(2 posts)
9 years ago

I'm needing help with knowing what type of sax my daughter needs

My daughter plays alto sax and tenor but mainly alto.   I bought her a Vito sax used about three years ago but she's now ready for a step-up sax and I have every music store telling me different stuff.  One said she needed the Selmer soloist and the other said no she needed the Selner 32 but that the John Packerd was way better. I've never played an I argument so I have no clue and I feel these people are not being fully honest.   I just need some advice please. 

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by JonHuff
    (117 posts)

9 years ago

Re: I'm needing help with knowing what type of sax my daughter needs

The honest truth is there a lot of good brands, so anytime any shop tells you "this is the instrument you should buy" you should feel a little caution. The big brands out there are Selmer, Yamaha, P Mauriat, among many others, and keep in mind, for the price you'd pay for a new "intermediate" level instrumnet, you can often get a good used pro model. Just make sure it is checked out by a reputable shop so you know it doesn't have any problems, and you are good to go. Good luck in your hunt!

Reply To Post

2. by madmajor
    (12 posts)

9 years ago

Re: I'm needing help with knowing what type of sax my daughter needs

She must be having lessons....what does her teacher say!  He knows her level and ability and will see if she has any issues with any equipment.

also how old is she (not asking for an answer) but consider that when kids grow up they often drop the instrument for things they deem more important to them (like boyfriends)

the he selmer soloist is a fine mouthpiece (I use it myself) but not vital whilst still learning.  

how commited is she...does she play long tones and practice for an hour plus a day.

ask yourself all of this and you will probably have your answer.

reed and mouthpiece are common upgrades that give great enhancement.

she needs to test play any potential new mouthpiece.  A good shop will allow her to test play a few providing you pay for the mouth piece protectors (they are cheap and prevent damage to the mouthpiece.)

hope this helps

Reply To Post