Saxophone Forum

by KCSaxGal
(46 posts)
19 years ago

Reed Guards and Storing Reeds

I'd like to hear how different people store their reeds. I have seen the reed guards they sell but wasn't sure if they did a good job at preserving and keeping a reed from warping? My instructor during college had us rubber band them to a hard piece of plastic and keep them in an air tight container with listerine mouthwash in them.

Reply To Post [Report Abuse]

Report Abuse

Replies

1. by tenor562
    (297 posts)

19 years ago

Re: Reed Guards and Storing Reeds

I just use LaVoz reed guards, and they work fine for me. I'm thinking about trying that new Rico ReedVitalizer with my reed guards, but I'm not sure about what humidity percent to purchase. However, Plastic bags do well too, and they're a lot cheaper. I've heard some weird stories, from dipping reeds in vodka, to letting them sit outside on roofs for long periods of time. Thanks, -tenor562

Reply To Post

1. by PsuSax
      (25 posts)

19 years ago

depends on your climate and also the climate of where ever you store/use your horn. at this time of year, it is very dry and cold where i live so i keep my reeds rubberbanded to glass in a tupperware with a small bag of rock salt. the salt keeps the humitidy very stable and it works great. more important than how you store your reeds is how you work on them and finish them. sealing the pores of the reed with your thumbnail (go with the grain, towards tip) will seal all the pores of the reed and keep the moisture in the reed. doing this in conjunction with a stable humidity storage will keep them from warping during the cold, dry winter season.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM

1. by PsuSax
        (25 posts)

19 years ago

you can also just put reeds in the vandoren blue cases and leave the top off and put that in the salt box. if you leave the top on the reeds may mold which can ruin a good reed.

Reply To Post Yahoo! AIM